Subwoofer setting suggestions....

Briggsy10

I am having trouble with a disease commonly diagnosed as "perfectionism" so I have decided to do what I always do when I have an attack (my term for not being able to make up my mind)...ask someone else's opinion.My current system consists of:

Fronts: Klipsch RF-3

Rears : Klipsch RF-3

center: Klipsch RC-3

Subwoofer: Velodyne FSR-18

cables: Mostly monster reference

My problem is that I cannot find that critical point at which to set my subwoofers crossover since I believe that the RF-3's do a fairly good job with bass reproduction. For all of the owners of the RF-3's what do you set your crossover's on when playing music as well watching movies? I want to find the sweet spot where the two blend effortlessly without overworking the RF-3's on bassy notes for music and LFE material.

Any cures to my problem are truly welcome...

-Eric

briggs,

i use to use my rf-3 w/ an HGS-18 (switched to klf for the main room)

for music i found it sounds best just a lil above the 80hz mark. for HT I switched out the crossover.

in reality though, since I connect only w/ sub outs to line ins, the crossover is usually switched out all the time as I can put up w/ a lil mudiness/echo than get up off my hindy biggrin.gif

but since it looks like you're running speaker level thru the vel, it may sound best to u to drop it down. f.e., let me guess - right now it's on 50?

i have rf3 also for my front main speakers and a digital mirage subwoofer like you other guys and i have found that my best settings were to have the sub start at about 50 or 60 hz down to get the best sound for my system...one thing that helped me since i play the drums and have a good ear for quality sounding and natural sounding music is that i use the dead sound of a good bass drum during some of my jazz cds or dvds to dictate to me what sounds just right and hits me in the chest with good tight not floppy or overdriven bass...makin sure that the bass is plentiful but not overbearing that it sounds unnatural....you want to get the lifelike nightclub impact without overdoing it too...

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears

adcom 545 amp driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!