My Heritage HT w/WS55, which DVD? HTPC, Elite?

kjohnsonhp

I've been piecing my HT together with help from the board and now I'm thinking of replacing my old 3rd generation Toshiba interlaced DVD with a progressive scan but I"m not sure which to purchase. Many on the board seem to be buying more expensive DVD players that I want to budget at the moment.

My primary objective is to get rid of the stair stepping I see with my interlaced DVD on object outlines and lines. I currently use AR component cables.

I see a couple options of interest:

1. Sony for ~$235 w/SACD, Progressive Scan, CD-RW, MP3.

2. Pioneer Elite ~$470 w/better video chip-set plus DVD-A and SACD. Denon has a similar priced model with the Fujorda(sp) chip set.

3. HTPC for DVD playing, TiVO, picture viewing, audio jukebox.

4. Use my old Toshiba and save for an SVS sub.

The $235 price is very tempting for video and CD listening and might be the way to buy time before HTPC technology and HDTV become more mainstream. I'm also assuming higher definition DVD will be coming as HDTV becomes more popular.

The HTPC seems to be a better value than buying a $800+ DVD but that's just a perception from reading boards.

I'm not sure if the sub $500 Elite or Denons have a significant picture quality improvement over the Sony. If they have sharper lines, more definition in dark scenes and more depth of image then it may be worth it. My new Mitsu WS55819 has made me much more critical of pic quality.

I'm going to use the DVD for audio CD, too. I"m also adding a separate 2-channel tube & vinyl audio path once I finish restoring my Dynaco ST70 & PAS3 amp & pre-amp.

I am planning on building a HTPC this winter instead of upgrading to a higher quality progressive scan DVD. This way the PC will do all the processing and send a native signal to my projector.

Probably will start on it after the Holidays. December is just too busy to start a project like this.

JM