RF5 Crossover resistor value variance?

MarkBK

Finally getting around to upgrading the capacitors and resistors on my RF-5s  purchased new in 2006. Based on the schematic I found on the forums, I ordered replacement parts. When I opened the crossover and started inspecting parts, I found one resistor’s value as 2 ohms,+/- 5%  but on the schematic it states 1.5 Ohms.  Does anyone know if there was a revision to the crossover at some point in time? This is in the tweeter circuit.

2nd question,  what would be the impact of using the 1.5 value to the crossover frequency? L

suggest that you lift a leg on one of your 2 ohm marked resistors and measure it to see what it really is. They may have selected resistors based upon measured value to save money. Just because a resistor is stamped 2 ohms does not necessarily make it so. Further if yu are happy with the spectral balance of your speakers then stick with the actual values that you currently have or be prepared for a change.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. I had already measured the resistor prior to posting, as I thought of the possibility that it might measure closer to the schematic than to the value stamped on the resistor. The resistors are indeed 2ohm resistors and measure very close to that value (2.2 an 1.9 measured for both crossover 2 ohm resistors).

I happen to have four each of the RF5 crossovers and ALL four are using the 2ohm resistor in the tweeter circuit.

I just ordered two each - 2ohm 1% Mills 12 watt resistors and will install them when they arrive.