3802 surround setting question

edwardre

OK all you Denon 3802 owners, I've a question that's been bothering me for awhile. I've recently added a rear center speaker. There are 3 options to set the rear speaker. SB-off, SB-matrix or SB-non matrix. SB standing for 'surround back'.

The first setting is a no-brainer even for me. However, do I set up for matrix or non-matrix? This isn't such a big deal when dealing with 'standard' DD5.1 or DTS media, as the matrix setting is a matrix of SR and SL, and the non-matrix simply duplicates the SR & SL and outputs to the center.

However, when playing a DTS-ES or DD-EX disc, where should I set this? If I select matrix, the front panel display generally identifies the media...."6.1 DTS Discrete" or something to that effect is displayed. If I select non-matrix, the usual "DTS" is displayed. One would think based upon this observation that one would want the '6.1' displayed, right? However, I notice a distinct 'lack of punch' when in this mode, like half the bass is missing.

What do ya'll have your units setup like?? There's nothing but confusing mumbo-jumbo in the manual. Thanks!

Ed,

I am not a Denon owner, but I will take a pass at your questions anyway. First, DTS has discrete and matrix 6.1 sources. DD Surround EX is matrixed. Matrix sources are far more common than discrete 6.1 sources at this time. Hence, my default recommendation is to use matrix and only to change over to discrete on rare occasions when you know the movie is discrete 6.1 like Gladiator. (You should confirm that this is the question that is being asked by Denon.)

You stated that your system lacks punch when you use the SB matrix setting. There are two likely culprits. First, most receivers have a power supply that is strecthed on 5 channels. When a sixth is added, the system is even more challenged and threrfore lacks dynamic head room.

The second thing to consider is your speaker settings. Try setting all speakers to small. This will eliminate bass cancellations and will take a significant part of the load off of the receiver. Bass frequencies use major amounts of power.

Hope that this helps.

Bill