Electro Voice SM 120A mid range horns in cornerhorns

BerndH

First i wanna thank forum member Tom Brennan for his tip with this EV mid horn. I reminded to my old school friend, who bought this horn 15 years ago for his concert rig. This week i could meet him again and bought the horns for 200 $ (with mid drivers i maybe use for another to build system).

Yesterday evening i screwed the K-55 M drivers in the horns and continued today my listening sessions with a large range of music styles like blues, classic, rock, metal, electronic, jazz-rock.

Describing the difference in sound i must really say it's not better, but different. The EV horn is a biradial horn with a horizontal pattern of 120 degrees. It sounds more spread and relaxed, it has more mid bass without loosing the mids and mid highs. It seems more open and detailed, but i think thats due to the wider dispersion. I don't think the K-400 has less details, they are due to the narrower dispersion more concentrated or beamed. The beamed sound gives me the feeling of more energy. Some people would say here more direct or in a negative sense harsh or earbleeding.

Each horn has his own character and therefore it's everyones own decision which horn to listen. Although in some way my heart bleeds to modify PWKs work i stay for the EV horn. The reasons are that shrill recordings are better to listen, my wife likes them and the big EV horns (the mouth size is about the whole top section of the klipschorn) look really cool.

Bernd