Matching stereo sound of mains to rears...

Nighthawk

Hi All!

The specs of the setup I have in my room are in my sig. First off, this system is not used for watching many movies, and usually when I do they are just playing on my computer when I'm working and having perfect sound imaging is not important as long as I can hear it. We have a really nice Klipsch home theater setup as a theater in another room which is used for movies. This room is mainly used for music (2-channel audio).

What I would like to do would be to fill the room with stereo sound from the fronts using NO EFFECTS on the receiver and match that clear sound with the rears in the back without using any effects from the DSP. The only way I see to do this would be to hookup the fronts and rears to the FRONT connections on the back of my receiver. Is this advisable?

What are everyone's thoughts on this and are there any alternatives to this to get sound, basically as it is played in a car with four speakers where the fronts match the rear sound?

Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

The possible problem will be if you connect them in parallel (hooking both sets of speakers to the receiver), you'll drop the impedance of the speakers by 1/2, which may cause too much of a load on your receiver (check the owner's manual). Also, if the efficiency of the fronts is not close to that of the rears, you'll have a hard time matching the volume, with the more efficient pair being louder all the time.

A way to avoid the impedance issue is to wire them in series instead of parallel. To do that, (using the left speaker for example) you run a wire from the Left + of the receiver to the + of the Left Main speaker. Then, run a wire from the - of the Left Main speaker to the + of the Left Rear speaker. Then run a wire from the - of the Left Rear speaker to the Left - on the receiver.

DD

OK, thanks for the reply! I guess I'll go ahead and leave them as they are, considering that if I turn the volume up to a moderate listening level instead of leaving it low, the room is filled with music anyway, so maybe it was a bad idea to start, but I figured I'd see what you gents had to say.

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays!

Hi Tim

This is the way I do 2 CH and HT in the same room.

I have my 2 CH sources feed into my Macintosh pre amp and my HT sources feed into my Lexicon. I then use a low gain phono switch to connect the Mac and Lexicon both into my Main speakers Amps. This way my Khorns are being fed by the same power amps for both HT and 2 CH listening.

JM