LaScala professional model???

Shock-Late

Hi there!

First i'd like to say I probably am the only belgian guy on this site...I do apologize for every language faults you're going to see in my posts....thanks for your comprehension!

I just bought a pair of LaScala very cheap, without seeing them (they were only 300 euros, I think it's about the same in US dollars) because here in belgium it's almost impossible to find second-hand klipsch products, and they're eye-popping expensive. I will get them tomorrow evening (how will I sleep till then???). The guy told me they were in good working condition, but that the enclosures were badly scratched. I don't care...

BUT he also told me it was a professionnal version, with separated enclosures for mid-high and bass, to allow better flexibility of placement and transport; when I asked him if they were real klipsch enclosures he said "of course they are"....

I never saw any LaScala you could take in two pieces so does it really exist and what are the technical differences compared to the standard model????

If someone knows this model...please help!!!

Shock-Late

I have a set of pro split "B" LaScala's. Yep, black fiberglass with aluminum edge-ing. they are rated at 200 watts. The sqwaker/ tweeter cabinet is triangular in shape. I think maybe there are other pro versions, but this is what I have. I got these for $500.00 for the pair years ago ( in mint condition ). I had to take $$ out of my wife's and my nest egg to buy them and when I pulled up with them in the back of my truck she almost died at how "ugly" they were! I powered them with a little modified ( VanAlstine) Dynaco ST 120. I think it was the first time in my life I heard a true sound stage.

Thanks guys for such a quick answer ;-)

I'm sooooo happy I found this site, because here in belgium nobody knows about Klipsch, only a few very rich people who own klipschorns bought new for 7000 $ in gigantic rooms with Cary valve amps...Cool, for sure, but it's still better to share with more "normal" people!!!

Actually i already own "Klipsch" loudspeakers: they are home-made Klipschorn basshorns loaded with EV woofers, and the x-overs are klipsch AA with k55v and k77m. The vintage stuff...

But the basshorns were firstly made to be subwoofers only, they don't reach the 400Hz frequency, and what's more my room has poor walls....results: awful sound. I'm even forced to use equalizers, and I hate equalizers of course!

Now that I'm going to have REAL klipsch, i think I'm going to sell the cornerhorns and keep my old klipsch drivers: I could ask a friend to build me LaScalas enclosures so I'll have two sets, one for surround duties.

Or I'll keep the drivers for an eventual repair if the ones I'll be getting today are vintage too. I'll see.

Thanks guys!

Shock-Late

Keep in mind, when you get the La Scalas and hook 'em up, that the bass response only extends to the mid 50s. If you're used to a Klipsch derivitive corner horn bass, you may think they're not working right the first time you hear them. Might want to hang on the corner horns for use as subs?

I have 1974 vintage domestic version La Scalas wink.gif and I use an REL Storm sub to fill in the bottom end. biggrin.gif

Ray

Indeed, the first time I listened to them I thought "are the woofers working???".But then I heard the fabulous quality of sound and I forgot about the (very) short bass response.

In fact its bass reminds me of my old JBL C36 wich used old D130 Alnico in the lows.

I'm happy with my scalas!!!

See my new post about "now i got them!!!" for further details, since they are quite special in some ways...