Dark Side Of The Moon DVD Audio Disc Confirmed

SCOOTERDOG

Yes Yes It is true! Won't be long now.

December 13, 2002

Exclusive - Dark Side of the Moon on DVD-Audio Confirmed by Alan Parsons

Written by Jerry Del Colliano

Reliable sources close to AudioRevolution.com report that in a conference at the Surround 2002 Expo in Beverly Hills today, engineer Alan Parsons spoke on the topic of Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon being mixed for DVD-Audio (see AudioRevolution.com lead story from last weeks email).

Parsons confirmed that the version of Dark Side on DVD-Audio that has been heard around Los Angeles was a working version of the quad mix on a DVD-Audio disc. He confirmed that the band was in fact working on a dedicated 5.1 version which he was sure was going to be a DVD-Audio title. EMI, Floyds label, backs DVD-Audio in the U.S. Strangely, Parsons who engineered the legendary Dark Side album 30 years ago, is not part of the new mixing sessions based on a decision made by the band says Parsons. After thirty years of hearing his work, Parson says he has lots of ideas of things he wanted to do differently if he were to get a chance. He isnt.

Release dates, an official announcement and other details were not released but a 30th anniversary release seems to make sense at this point. If you could order the DVD-Audio title early, which you cant at this point, it might become the biggest selling title in the new audio formats history on its first shipment.

Nope! I have had no problems with any of my DVD Audio disc's including EMI.

Perhaps its because some of us have a high end machines before they started to try to get the cost down and use lesser grade components inside. Most folks go for the $300.00 or so machines and they wonder why they don't get the performance they expect. I really don't know why they are having problems with the EMI disc's.

I just thought I would blow some smoke. lol... But hey I could be right.

As far as the new DSOTM DVD A. I am there with you the first day of release

I think you may be right Scooterdog. Im not one that can afford to fire up Cuban cigars with 100 dollar bills but some people should make an effort to learn about these products before purchasing them instead of putting the lowest price ahead of performance and history of reliability. I get a kick out of a guy that posts on every forum on the net looking for a solution for a problem he has for a 99 dollar player that he bought on sale from an unauthorized dealer that wont play a Disney disc he rented from Block Buster that has a pound of melted Bon-Bons and a half inch of popcorn grease on it. Typical: Help! Chapter 3 of Toy Story wont play now. I stood on top of the player to straighten out the chassis after it was sitting in the sun in my car for the whole month of August while in Florida with the kids. I even took a hair dryer to it when it fell in the pool while still plugged in and after scooping it out of the deep section with 8 coat hangers twisted together that I had been using for my TV antenna. Has anyone else had a problem with a SackaHamaMama model: 1-2-GO or a 3-2-GET-REDI after cleaning the tray with Clorox and greasing it with Pam spray? How much do you think I can get for a trade in if I bring it back to the place I bought it from 3 years ago.

This is the tenth time I asked this question on this forum without any reply. What are you? A bunch of snobs?

People crack me up.9.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I am so disappointed with EMI caving in to the big corporate toe of Sony. When will the masses wake up and realize that the future is in the DVD format and not a hybrid CD. This could be a big push for the SACD Camp, personally I hope not. In order to combat the ability for SACD to be played on your standard CD player the DVD forum has adopted the technology to incorprate either a dual layer or double sided disc that will enable one to play the Hi Res DVD Audio, DTS, or DD. Then flip it over and stick it in any CD player for standard DCD playback. This will help the format grow and provide a format to all the dunb as#$@ out there that want to play them in their CD players. I for one will not by a SACD player just for the love of one disc, or the whole catalog. Hopefully EMI will see to release DSOTM in DVD A as well...But I doubt it

• 2 weeks later...

One of these days all this SACD vs. DVD-A nonsense is going to come back to haunt these electronics companies. I just hope it doesnt hit the average electronics consumer too hard. Can anybody remember Betamax? Divx? Quadraphonic Sound? XFL Football? How about the EDSEL? 7.gif

• 5 weeks later...