RP600m + Yamaha TSR-5830 (RX V585): buzzing/clipping?

lotomid

Hello,

I am new to this community and hope I'm posting in the right sub-forum; apologies if this is an inappropriate place for my query.

I just bought some (new) RP-600Ms to begin the process of upgrading my rather low-end surround/2-channel world. They are connected in an LR configuration to a Yamaha TSR-5830 (which I understand is a rebranded RX-V585). Nothing else is connected currently. (Before buying the RP-600M speakers I was using wired Mirage satellites and the MM-6 subwoofer.)

Although not planning to stick with this amp long term, I thought it would be safe to use it initially.

Yet I'm finding a nasty buzzing clipping noise as I turn up the volume, at around -20dB on the amp (not sure if that means anything in this context). Audio is at a listenable volume, but far from loud, when this happens. Also, the amp doesn't seem to be running hot or distorting the audio across the spectrum of content. The speakers just sound quiet and as I carefully crank up the volume they start to emit a buzzing sound, I think from the tweeters. Then I turn it down.

The amp is set up for 8 Ohm speakers by default (confirmed this in the setup UI) and claims 80W power output per channel. I've seen recommendations for using lower-powered amps than this with the RP-600Ms. 

Is there anything about this setup that means I should expect clipping/buzzing/distorted sounds from it? 

I've seen mentions on the internet of people pairing this amp with these speakers, and the ratings seem to match, but I am far from an expert and so suspecting some kind of mismatch or else the speakers arrived damaged in some way (seems very unlikely).

Thanks for any insights. In particular, wondering if the symptoms sound like a classic component mismatch to those more knowledgeable than me?

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

Yamaha off (not unplugged), re-used old wiring. Disconnected wire at Yamaha end, disconnected wire from old speakers. Wired 600M speaker terminals, then reinserted banana plugs into Yamaha, then turned receiver back on..

2 hours ago, lotomid said:

Thanks for your reply.

Yamaha off (not unplugged), re-used old wiring. Disconnected wire at Yamaha end, disconnected wire from old speakers. Wired 600M speaker terminals, then reinserted banana plugs into Yamaha, then turned receiver back on..

Then double-check your wiring first while off. One strand over to positive side of negative or reverse not good.

I see that 600s are biampable.

Are the metal straps in place on both speakers connecting red to red and same for the black on both speakers? If not do this.

If you are connected cleanly from back of Yamaha 5o speakers, you should have none of the problems you describe.

Since it sounds like you have no other 6jsn the Yamaha to check speakers, check that volume control is free of oxidation by using Deoxit on volume and other controls that can build up corrosion over time when using or not using.  Any electronics contact cleaner will work.

Turn off or bypass controls for the sound processor and controls to hear. If was working good with other speakers, should work fine with these.

Let me know what you think and do.

Thanks!

Recheck banana plugs first.

BTW, what are you listening to?

Radio, cd...?

Thanks -- spent a bit more time with the system last night and today. I found that the crackle/distortion stopped over time as I pushed to higher and higher volumes, to the point where (in my small apartment listening area) it's more than adequate. 

All connections seem fine, though I fiddled with them again today to be sure.

I've been listening to a variety of sources -- vinyl (through Cambridge Audio 640P preamp), Blu-Ray player, and smart TV apps. I was getting the crackle/distortion on all sources.

So at least for now, things seem to have settled in. Happily listening. 

Thanks again for your suggestions.

• Like 1

Enjoy your new speakers. Distortion can damage speakers, along with static.

Until you can deoxidize manual controls, turn off the Yamaha and give those knobs, especially volume a good back and forth manual turning to try to help situation.

Welcome to the forum.

😣