REF 3 II with push pull tubes?

Yossarian

I just got my hands on a pair of REF 3IIs that a friend of mine has purchased for HT use. He won't be able to use them for a while so I am planning to hook them up to my early 90's Vacum Tube Logic Stereo 50 (Push-Pull EL 34s- 50 watts of power) and Sony TAE 90 ES preamp to see how they do in a two channel application. I've only recently been exposed to Klipsch products (Chorus and Heresys). For years I have been guilty of believing the "common wisdom" that Horns sound "bright" or "horny". I'm now coming to find out that this is very untrue! I LOVE the effortless dynamics that I have heard from Klipsch! I've been reading a lot of postings about the Heritage series, but have not seen much in the two channel forum about some of the newer Klipsch gear. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the best use of a pair of REF 3s (they will probably be used in conjunction with a REL Strata II sub)in a two channel rig?

You won't get the full benefit of the VTL signature with the Sony solid state preamp -- it will probably lack a little warmth. However, I'm rather fond of the ES stuff, and I think you will find the combo rather musical none the less. You should probably start saving for a tubed preamp to get the full benefit of what the VTL has to offer. At any rate, the RF3's should crank out some pretty serious sound.