Klipsch RF3-II vs. RB5

PHIL O

I just bought a pair of RF3-II's for my rear surround, but the RB3's were just as impressive in sound quality. I opted for floorstanding instead of bookshelf w/ stands because of my baby, he's only 7 weeks btu eventually he'll be pulling stuff down. Can I get someone's opinion on this situation, should I go back and get the RB3's.

By the way I have the RF3-II's turned in on the sides of my couch, and the couch sits against the wall, the speakers sit right next to the couch (hope this helps).

You did the right thing, not that there is anything wrong with the RB3's, but matching your fronts and rears should provide a very seamless transition between speakers. The extra bass extension of the floor standers for music playback(i.e. 5 Ch. Stereo or DPLII)should be very nice. Also the sound stage on the RB3's is much smaller when compared to the RF3. I went with the RB5's for rears, and I did that because my room will not allow for floorstanders(I had to be able to wall mount them).

P.S. Did you make up your mind on which SVS you are going to get?

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/22/2002 1:41:17 AM imasndtek wrote:

... I went with the RB5's for rears, and I did that because my room will not allow for floorstanders(I had to be able to wall mount them).

----------------

How did you wall mount the RB5's? They seem heavy for most mounts and they need to be set away from the walls because of the rear ports.

Well, it is true that the RB-5's are not the lightest speaker(23lbs I think), and wall mounting was a little tricky, but I was able to hit a stud on all four screws. The way the holes are arranged is in a vertical line slightly offset so it is very easy to line up with vertical wall studs. The bracket that I used is the B-Tech BT-77 wall mount rated up to 55 lbs each. I has looked at a lot of wall mounts, and this was the only one that I really liked the design of. With regards to the rear porting issue. Yes the speaker is very close to the wall, but the MCACC on my Pioneer Elite really helped to smooth out that problem. I know that it is probably not the best thing to do, but it sounds good to me, and I wanted a fuller sound from behind, because I am really getting interested in DVD-Audio.