HT Suggestions- Please Help

NikeAir

Im going to be moving soon, and the room I will be putting my HT setup is 15'6"x14'2", which is the living room. I would like any input/comments/criticisms about the setup I'm suggesting so I could improve on any aspect. Thanks in advance and here it goes:

TV- 36" Sony Wega XBR(Maybe 57" Sony Widescreen)

DVD- Sony Progressive Scan

VCR- Undecided

Game Consoles- Xbox and PS2

Receiver- Denon 3802

Speakers- RF3 II(mains), SC-1(rear and front center), SS-1(surrounds), and a RSW-10 for the sub.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm also wondering how far the couch/chair should be from the rear speakers and if it would be worth getting the 57" sony if I have to sit considerably close to the TV because of the distance from the rears.

Buy the correct matching speakers for the Reference fronts. Step up to the RSW-12 sub. Buying a screen that is too large is much more uncomfortable viewing than buying a screen that is too small. Figure screen size 1/3 viewing distance (round up).

Keith

What is the price difference between the synergy surround/centers and the reference series and the difference in the RSW-10 and 12 as far as price and quality/power. I have heard people say that the surround/centers arent that important. Also how far in front of the rear surr/center should I be for the "optimum" sound?

Thanks,

Daniel

*** general rule is three times the height of the screen. I assume you would be sitting around 9' from the screen which is what I have for my 55" so I would recommend the 57" unless you prefer direct view TVs.

** I assume you are getting a model with DVI

** There are several good brands to choose from (Mitsu, Pioneer, Hitachi, Toshiba for example) and opportunities to negotiate price. See Hometheaterspot.com and AVSforum.com

** Have an HDTV reception & record strategy? OTA Antenna? SAT? Cable? Digital VCR? PVR?

DVD- Sony Progressive Scan (which model?)

** a lot of people seem to like the Panasonic RP82 and 72 Progressive Scan in low price range of Progressive Scan players.

** I love Netflix.com for DVD rental--my virtual library.

VCR- Undecided

** I like my JVC SVHS players I bought refurbished on UBID for $160 a couple years ago but I'm trying to minimize the use of tape.

** I'm focused on an HDTV DirecTV/TiVO combo box rumored for release in the US in 03. DISH already has one for early 03.

** I have PS2 but would have Xbox if it was out when I bought the PS2...it has better graphics...I only want one.

** get the component video cable & optical sound cable

Receiver- Denon 3802

** 3803 has component video switching and some have said a slightly better sound

** I use the Outlaw 1050 because it is available as B-stock for $438 (used with warranty pass under $400) and for 6.1 sound the reviews are very close to the 3802...one said slightly better debth for 3802. Of course 3802 has DPLII, 7.1 and other features.

Speakers- RF3 II(mains), SC-1(rear and front center), SS-1(surrounds), and a RSW-10 for the sub.

** check the product part of the Klipsch site and stay with all timbre matched Reference Series that fit your space.

Dolby recommends the surrounds to be on the side walls and just behind the listener. The speakers are also 1-3' higher than the listener. See dolby.com for speaker placement and optional locations for different room situations.

When sounds move from surround to front or sides to center you want the sound transition to be seamless...timbre matched.

----------------

On 12/26/2002 1:08:46 AM NikeAir wrote:

I have heard people say that the surround/centers arent that important.

Thanks,

Daniel

----------------

You're getting good advice here, NA. Get the matching center out of the Reference series. About 70% of the sonic action in a movie comes out of the center channel, so it is very important. Plus, it needs to be timbre-matched to the mains so that as sounds pan across the front soundstage, it appears seemless. I'm using a Forte (a full size speaker) as a center channel. Others use similarly full sized speakers as their centers....

DD

----------------

On 12/26/2002 1:22:20 AM kjohnsonhp wrote:

*** general rule is three times the height of the screen. I assume you would be sitting around 9' from the screen which is what I have for my 55" so I would recommend the 57" unless you prefer direct view TVs.

** I assume you are getting a model with DVI

** There are several good brands to choose from (Mitsu, Pioneer, Hitachi, Toshiba for example) and opportunities to negotiate price. See Hometheaterspot.com and AVSforum.com

** Have an HDTV reception & record strategy? OTA Antenna? SAT? Cable? Digital VCR? PVR?

DVD- Sony Progressive Scan (which model?)

** a lot of people seem to like the Panasonic RP82 and 72 Progressive Scan in low price range of Progressive Scan players.

** I love Netflix.com for DVD rental--my virtual library.

VCR- Undecided

** I like my JVC SVHS players I bought refurbished on UBID for $160 a couple years ago but I'm trying to minimize the use of tape.

** I'm focused on an HDTV DirecTV/TiVO combo box rumored for release in the US in 03. DISH already has one for early 03.

** I have PS2 but would have Xbox if it was out when I bought the PS2...it has better graphics...I only want one.

** get the component video cable & optical sound cable

Receiver- Denon 3802

** 3803 has component video switching and some have said a slightly better sound

** I use the Outlaw 1050 because it is available as B-stock for $438 (used with warranty pass under $400) and for 6.1 sound the reviews are very close to the 3802...one said slightly better debth for 3802. Of course 3802 has DPLII, 7.1 and other features.

** check the product part of the Klipsch site and stay with all timbre matched Reference Series that fit your space.

----------------

The answer to all the questions posted are really based on your budget. Obviously i would timber match the RF3 IIs with other speakers from the reference range as listed on the klipsch website. My living area is 20X12 but the actual distance to my tv is about 15 ft and it sometimes can be overbearing, My recomendation to you is keep the wega for now and in a years time get a 50 inch plasma. by then the prices for quality 50 inch displays will be in the mid to low 3000s im sure the sony you are looking at can be had for less but for about 1200 more you could be looking at less space and imo a better picture. as posted the AVSforum is a good place to find information on all display devices.