My Tale of Woe (subtitled, "Pursuit of the Academy")

chuckears

Now that I am (mostly) over it, I can tell my story of Academy found and lost...

My work is extremely busy between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it was not rare for me to find myself rising for one of the busiest days (Saturday the 14th, to be precise) at 2:30 AM.

I conducted my usual morning sweep of ebay, and my heart nearly stopped when I ran across a Klipsch Academy, mint condition, oiled oak (like my blessed Fortes) with a Buy-It-Now of $250.00!! I read over the ad several times, checked the guy's feedback, and did what any red-blooded Academy hound would do... sent the payment and went off to work.

Upon arriving home after a pleasant 14-hour day, I checked my email, only to find a message from the seller indicating that So sorry, it turns out his teenage son and some friends had fried the thing last summer after hooking it up to a 500-watt PA amp, and that he had just found this out after speaking to his son and trying it out himself.

Sigh.

I have since received my money back, and watched as two other Academies have sold for over $500. I briefly considered telling the gentleman to send me the speaker and let me repair it, but the Mrs. would not be pleased if I spent money on something broken.

BTW, this was item 1945590919, if anyone wants to check... notice that it has received only 32 views (as of 12-29-02).

The search continues...