5.1 vs. 6.1 vs. 7.1?

Orion

Hi there:

I have been reading a lot about 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 systems, yet I would like to know exactly what each consists of with regard to speakers, setup and sound type (DD, DTS, etc). Please tell me everything you can about these three setups.

I appreciate your help! Thank you!

Orion.

Let me see if I can assist you on this one

Dts comes in 5.1, and matrix 6.1 (ES), and discrete 6.1(ES). 5.1 consist of three front speakers L,C,R, two discrete surround speakers placed at the sides of the listening room and a limited range LFE(sub directed).

For 6.1 matrix and discrete, the same speaker configuration is used with one caveat. A center rear speaker(s) are placed behind and to the sides, or in the case of one speaker, directly behind you(not optimal)

For DD 5.1 the same speaker configuration is used as Dts. For 6.1 EX, the same speaker configuration is used as Dts-ES 6.1

In the rear surround, whether it be matrixed or discrete, it is advised that two speaker be used as opposed to one. This is often mistaken as 7.1, but it is not,since the center rear channels reproduce the same information.

There is no such discrete format as 7.1. There is one matrix surround DSP found in the Lexicon processor that uses a proprietary 7.1 algorithm.

Hope this gives you a little understanding of these formats

Terrence

Orion,

The link at the bottom will take you to hometheatersound.com's web site. They have an excellent article titled this month:

"Almost Everything You Need to Know About

Surround-Sound Formats for Home Theater". It address most of the common surround formats.

You'll won't to bookmark it after a visit.

ShapeShifter http://www.hometheatersound.com/features.shtml

Orion,

The link at the bottom will take you to hometheatersound.com's web site. They have an excellent article this month titled

"Almost Everything You Need to Know About

Surround-Sound Formats for Home Theater". It address most of the common surround formats.

I bookmarked it after my first visit.

ShapeShifter http://www.hometheatersound.com/features.shtml