A Cheaper Elvis?

HornEd

A new flood of high quality, low price, tunes from the fifties should soon be hitting music stores. While the U.S. Copyright law protects a recorded work for 95 years... the European Common Market countries limit copyright benefits to 50 years. Suddenly, the early Elvis, superb Callas, and outstanding jazz cuts can be legally duplicated in Europe and sold in the U.S. That is, until and unless Congress makes some new law or tariff to block the sales of legally made European CD's.

It could get quite interesting... =HornEd

The Cayman Islands have no copyright laws. At least none that they respect. When I was there last you could get a movie newly released into theaters on VHS and some on DVD (copied from a DV cam I am sure).

They are pretty cheap considering the source (Cayman where things are more expensive). I cannot remember the movie I bought while there but it was just released into theaters at that time.

Those Caymanians really know how to record. No shakyness and they shot it 16:9! I also saw my first 16:9 TV in Cayman. This was about 4 years ago, or more. It was $5999 RPTV! Yikes. And that was CI. So add roughly 25% to that.

Thanks for the update. I wonder about quality though. Bob Marley has some wonderful recordings. But the cheaper versions not of his product can really sound terrible.

Justin, the quality will be top-of-the-line because the top firms will be in the hunt... the same firms that were previously doing the copyrighted stuff in Europe. In fact, it is the high quality and access to mainstream U.S. distribution channels that has U.S. firms upset... since they can't legally produce the music in the U.S. for another 45 years! =HornEd