RP-5 LFE question

manufanatic

Hello, I own a pair of RP-5s and i am looking to utilize them in the best way possible. Currently i have my yamaha amp sent to large and use the "low" on the speaker level inputs. What can i do to get the best sound out of my system.. Please add any speaker wire choices you have found that make a diff. My yamie allows for dual subwoofer oututs so should i be utilizing this function? any help will be greatly appreciated. Yes i am also looking to upgrade the Yamaha to a B&K or Pioneer Elite in the somewhat near future.

thanks in advance lads4.gif

Leave the shiny jumper straps in place between the lo/hi speaker binding posts. Adjust bass gain so that the sound is balanced and not 'bassy'.

Run sub cables from your receiver's sub outputs to each LFE input on each speaker. Set speakers 'large', sub outs to 'LFE only' in receiver bass management.

Use regular 12/14 ga multi-strand.

Keith

----------------

On 1/6/2003 11:37:28 PM talktoKeith wrote:

Leave the shiny jumper straps in place between the lo/hi speaker binding posts. Adjust bass gain so that the sound is balanced and not 'bassy'.

Run sub cables from your receiver's sub outputs to each LFE input on each speaker. Set speakers 'large', sub outs to 'LFE only' in receiver bass management.

Use regular 12/14 ga multi-strand.

Your recommendation would be to leave the speaker wires in the bottom (lo position)? thanks

Keith

----------------

It makes no difference as long as you have the jumpers in place between the two pairs of binding posts. You could even replace the metal jumpers with speaker wire and do no harm (red to red/black to black).

Set up this way your speakers receive a full range signal via speaker level. Your receivers sub outs feed a LFE signal (mixed @ + 10db) to the LFE inputs.

Start low (9 o'clock) with your gain for the low's and LFE and work your way up to taste. Good luck.

Keith

Keith

Let me clarify.

For your speakers to play you have to send them a signal. Your speakers have 2 pairs of binding posts. One pair for the hi's and another for the lo's. You could remove the jumpers from between the speaker binding posts and send a signal to the hi portion of the speaker by running the speaker wire to the hi posts and run a sub cable from the receiver sub out to the speaker lo input. I imagine you could even use a 'Y' cord at the speaker end of the sub cable and plug one end of 'Y' into lo input and the other 'Y' end to the LFE input (consult your owners manual).

Then you would have to have available in your receivers bass management a setting that says 'LFE + Main'. You would then set the lo and LFE gain controls on speakers to your preference. I tried this and prefer to use speaker level using jumpers, as above, and sub cable from receiver sub out to LFE input for LFE only.

I hope this makes sense. I worked all night.14.gif

Keith

----------------

On 1/8/2003 7:33:40 AM talktoKeith wrote:

Let me clarify.

For your speakers to play you have to send them a signal. Your speakers have 2 pairs of binding posts. One pair for the hi's and another for the lo's. You could remove the jumpers from between the speaker binding posts and send a signal to the hi portion of the speaker by running the speaker wire to the hi posts and run a sub cable from the receiver sub out to the speaker lo input. I imagine you could even use a 'Y' cord at the speaker end of the sub cable and plug one end of 'Y' into lo input and the other 'Y' end to the LFE input (consult your owners manual).

Then you would have to have available in your receivers bass management a setting that says 'LFE + Main'. You would then set the lo and LFE gain controls on speakers to your preference. I tried this and prefer to use speaker level using jumpers, as above, and sub cable from receiver sub out to LFE input for LFE only.

I hope this makes sense. I worked all night.
14.gif

Keith

----------------

I understand thanks for your input i will try that tonight after work...