KLF30 placement

dedvalson

I have a home theatre system using KLF30 speakers for the Left and Right fronts, and KLF C-7 for the center and KSP-S6 for the rear.

Since I installed the system, I have always noticed that the system sounds much better to a user sitting on the floor right in front of the couch than to someone sitting on the couch. The sound is much cleaner, more balanced and is strikingly better. The sound up on the couch is kind of harsh and a little sibilant.

Part of the problem is that the back of the couch is only 4 inches away from a hard wall. Thus, I am unclear if the problem originates from the wall or the height.

I am considering putting the 30s on about a 2 foot stand (as if they weren't tall enough already). Any comments? Has anyone done something like this.

Also, the center speaker is sitting on top of a large projection television, so it is already about 4 1/2 feet off of the ground, but I am considering raising it as well.

If any one can offer any suggestions, including where to get speaker stands this heavy duty, I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks,

Don

I believe your problem is one of refelction of mid and high frequency information off the wall behind your head. This mixes with the direct sound coming from the speakers and causes severe comb filtering and terrible sound. The problem is really bad because of the nearly simultaneous arrival of the direct and reflected sounds. You will probably notice a change in highs if you move your head closer to and further from the rear wall.

On top of this, when you sit on the floor, you are below the axis of the midrange and high frequency drivers. Thus the sound there is quite mellow while the sound while sitting on the sofa is bright and harsh.

Moving the speakers higher will not change much with the reflection problem, but it would again put you below the main axis of the mids and highs.

Instead, place some sort of mid and high frequency absorber or diffuser on the wall behind your head. Check out the RPG website or Room Tunes or some of the other acoustic absorber info on the web.

Thanks a lot for that information. It makes sense and sounds right to me. Can you tell me how to get to the RPG web site and / or the other one you mentioned. It does not appear to be rpg.com

Thanks much,

Don

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

I believe your problem is one of refelction of mid and high frequency information off the wall behind your head. This mixes with the direct sound coming from the speakers and causes severe comb filtering and terrible sound. The problem is really bad because of the nearly simultaneous arrival of the direct and reflected sounds. You will probably notice a change in highs if you move your head closer to and further from the rear wall.

On top of this, when you sit on the floor, you are below the axis of the midrange and high frequency drivers. Thus the sound there is quite mellow while the sound while sitting on the sofa is bright and harsh.

Moving the speakers higher will not change much with the reflection problem, but it would again put you below the main axis of the mids and highs.

Instead, place some sort of mid and high frequency absorber or diffuser on the wall behind your head. Check out the RPG website or Room Tunes or some of the other acoustic absorber info on the web.

Thanks a lot for that information. It makes sense and sounds right to me. Can you tell me how to get to the RPG web site and / or the other one you mentioned. It does not appear to be rpg.com

Thanks much,

Don

quote:
Originally posted by BobG:

I believe your problem is one

BobG is right on, I know he always is. You need something on the wall above your couch. That's the main reason you like the sound sitting on the floor in front of the couch, because your couch is acting as an absorbant. Try some drapes,curtains, blinds,etc. above and behind your couch and that should solve all your problems. With the height of the KLF-30's already I can't imagine putting some "heavy duty" stands under them. GOOD LUCK.