Help with Velodyne subs. . .SPL or HGS??

tidmack

Guys,

I've been reading about and listening to subs for quite a few months now, trying to find one that I really like. I absolutely fell for the Velodyne HGS 15. I've been reading recently though about their SPL line of subs. Velodyne doesn't have a SPL 15, but they do have a 12. Unfortunately, I'm unable to listen to one. can anyone offer insight on the SPL line (vs. HGS) and let me know if the 12 will do the job? I'd be using it for home theatre and music and it'll be paired with laScalas up front and Cornwalls in the rear. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff

tidm, i haven't heard their spl either. i have the hgs-18 & had to get it deaf after having/hearing the hgs-15. all i know about the spl is what i've read at www.velodyne.com

before u do anything u might want to call them & talk to Kurt/tech support - he has some strong opinions & advice on which vels to put w/ klipsch.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I have previously spoken to Vel regarding the HGS 12 and the SPL 12. They told me that the SPL can dish out about 3 db more then the HGS 12. That's still 3 db less then the HGS 15.

I must say that I just love my HGS 12. It is a killer sub. There isn'much better (HGS line in general) for music. For HT the limiter is less then what I would hope for during HT on the 12. If I turn my sub up high enough to really rumble the house when stuff happens in action scenes the rest of the bass during a movie such as music is way to much. It is unnatural and WAY overbearing except for the real action scenes, then it's great. That is the ONLY problem I have with the HGS 12. I don't want my sub to cap a 6 db increase for an action scene, yet it does. Again, for music it is a perfect sub in every way.

I gather that the SPL 12 won't cut any increase during a specific scene and the HGS will. What is the better sub? HGS 15! What is the better MOVIE sub, good question?

I wish I did NOT let my wife influence my decision on my sub when I bought the HGS 12 as I was going to buy the HGS 15 or 18".

If you do buy the HGS line you will without a doubt be buying one of the best subs available today!