Overheated Sub

bajachepe

My 4.1's left me stranded in the middle of a nice music session.

I got a Sound Blaster Live Platinum card and I was playing MP3's 75 to 80% main volume, same on the Sub and surround dials.

Everything was perfect till I started hearing distortion, severe distortion, I thought it was he MP3 at first but no, unfortunately it was my new 4.1's.... frown.gif

The Subwoofer box was extremely hot. I dont want to dare open it at this point.

Has this happened to anybody else? or perhaps I got a set with a problem.

I had them for one week,and I want to have them for a long time...I'd apreciate some feeback... Should I ship them back for a replacement?

now i'm pretty sure i never had that problem with me, i also have a 4.1 got em the couple days after it went on sale.

but anyways i never had my sub overheat before it was always warm to the touch but never hot.

i would suggest not to open the sub, might ruin your waranty.

i've had my pro's around 40-60% with main and wave volume up 100% it was loud but never got as hot as you have yours.

go ask Amy or e-mail her, she would know what to do.

but don't open up the sub or anything like that, that would void your warranty it.

I think you might have just been pushing teh sub too hard too long. Was the distortion from the sats, sub, or both? What kind of music? Lots-o-Bass? The more you push the sub.. the hotter it will get.. 80%? damn.. I hardly ever go over the 10o'clock mark.. mostly under it.

There could also be somethign wrong with the amp.. so it is hard to say.. see what Amy thinks.

• Moderators

Do they still sound distorted after they've had a chance to cool off? 80% volume is excessive...do you have to turn it that high to get good sound? What do you have your windows volumes set to?

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

Make sure the Bass and Treble are at normal <50%> and winamp EQ is set to flatline. I used to have to tweak the EQ with my old ACS295 speakers but don't need to with the Pros.. Your sub setting is way too high.. sounds like you need an array of 10" 12" and 15" subs.. bass freak

Amy, the setting in windows was just above the halfway point,and it was sounding really really good,nothing TOO exagerated but just a nice setting,since I was sitting right in front of the PC. I was listening too an older Police song, not anything with booming bass, and like I said, I was really enjoying it.Then, it just started distorting in all speakers ( sats and sub).Even after I tunrned of the song a staticky sound kept coming out..I then turned the power off at the sat with the dials and the static noise stayed. I read in this forum in more than one message some guys using the set a max settings, I only did that once when I first got them a week ago to test the power of the set and the point when distortion would become notisable,but before I even got to that point my computer room's windos started to rattle like they where going to break! so I backed down... with a big smile on my face.

I never had to try that again since it is NOT necesary.

I just got a UPS lable from the place I did the purchase for a return and replacement...

I also read that the 4.1's come with a built in "limitator" not sure if thats the name of the gaddget but I belive it suposse to keep the amp from going over the limit... any fee back on that?

Try setting your window's volumes to around 80% and winamp at full. You shouln't have to crank the Pros up as much yet get great sound. I have sub volume set to the mark and usually listen to main set around half way but am able to crank it.. mmm.. brain shake.

Check this out.. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/175/jeffrey_lew.html

listen to Defuse The Bomb.. nice bass.. The Killer Bean Soundtrack]

]