wires for KSW-12 and placement

Berry8

I just got a KSW-12 and need to run about 30 ft of speaker wire and want to do this without spending too much money. Will the regular Monster Cable at around a $1 per foot work? Do I really need to spend $80?

Also, for the placement of my sub. I have two locations in mind. One is just to the right of my tv in the corner. The other location is just behind my counch in another corner. Which would work better?

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any speaker wire labeled specifically for subs (at least in this $ realm). Perhaps you are thinking of the interconnect cable with the RCA plugs on each end? So, are you using speaker wire to connect the sub (using the high-level inputs on the sub's amp) or interconnect cable (using the line-level RCA jacks on the sub)?

If using line-level, there is nothing especially magical about a sub interconnect, IMHO. Just get a good quality shielded cable (I use video cables for my audio interconnects for that reason).

If using high-level (speaker wire), again, I'd suggest just using a good quality wire that fits your budget and your ability to discern a difference.

DD

Thanks again for all the info.

I finally received my new sub (KSW 12) last night and now I have two more questions.

First, when I opened the box to get my sub out, I noticed that the cardboard tube inside the port was unattached and was laying inside the sub. I managed to reach inside and pull the tube back into position. Is this a normal occurance for a sub shipped through UPS? Should I take it to a dealer to have it looked at?

Second, I noticed that there are a few ways to connect my sub to my receiver. One of the ways is through the "Line in Right & Left/LFE" connections. How does this work? My receiver is the Sony STR-D665 and only has a one-holed connection in the back for the sub. Do I need to buy a Y connection that has two prongs for the sub and one for the receiver? I also noticed that I could wire the sub directly to my left and right speaker hook-ups on the back of my receiver, and then run wire from the sub to each of my front two speakers. Is this the better way? Does one method have advantages over the other?

Thanks again,

Jake