DIY LaScalas

Yossarian

Does anyone out there know of any good plans or tips for attempting to do a DIY pair of LaScalas? I have heard of workable plans being available for Khorns, but very little on the net about their smaller siblings. From a distance, it looks like the LaScalas should be far easier to construct than Khorn. Does anyone at the forum have any homebrew experience with speakers like these. Would it be at all cost competitive with trying for a good used pair on e-bay? It would be really cool to build a pair myself, but not if the end result sucks!

If I were to attempt a project I think I would use professionally measured and cut 3/4 or 1 in Baltic Birch Plywood. Wood more exotic (read expensive) types of nice plywood be available? Oak?. Walnut? Too cost prohibitive? I would rather do a nice sand and stain than try to mess with gluing down veneer. Is it as hard as it looks?

You can buy a nice used set cheaper, believe me. I'm just now finishing up a pair of DIY LS's and I've got lots more in them than I see them going for on ebay. the components are expensive even used. However if you're really wanting to go the DIY route it is fun, I'm not a woodworker but an old automechanic and computer guy so it's been a huge learning experience for me, I even built my own crossovers using plans I found here.

The are a set of German "Isophon" plans floating around here, however I found much to my dismay that some of the dimensions are incorrect. (oak plywood = not cheap)

post here if you are still interested, I'll see what I can find for you.

Tom

I figured it would probably be pretty expensive to build a pair of LaScalas, but I'm hoping to try and enter the crazy world of DIY audio and figured maybe LS may be a good place to start. Do you think building up a pair would cost much more than a grand? LaScalas seem to go for between 800 and 1,200 dollars a pair depending on finish, condition etc. The killer about e-bay (besides the terrifying concept of buying sight unseen) is the fact that shipping the big bastards will probably add several hundred dollars in shipping costs alone to the total bill. Unfortunately, I live in an area where the odds of running across a used pair of Heritage series speakers is very low. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.