Is progressive scan DVD really better?

jefnel1

I have a Toshiba 61" HDTV and a Sony DVD player hooked up via component video. The picture looks really good with most DVDs, but I do notice some subtle stair-stepping patterns on certain movies.

I am thinking of upgrading to a Progressive Scan DVD player like the Toshiba 9200. If anyone out there has a comparable model, I would appreciate some advice on the upgrade. Is the picture quality really that much better?

Also, I was reading in this month's Sound and Vision that DVD-Audio can only be connected via Analog jacks. Anyone experiment with this format yet?

I am using a progressive player with my pioneer 710 set which has an excellent line doubler in it. I often switch from interlace to progressive to see the difference and it is not a $1000 upgrade. While others may disagree. But again the line doubler in the Pioneer has got real good reviews. I am in the area if you ever want to see the comparison, or Buy one at Tweeter and do the A/B comparison for yourself. They (Tweeter) give you 30 days.

I recently picked up the JVC723 DVD player off of ebay. They can now be had for $399 at Best Buy. It has DVD Audio capabilities and 480p progressive scan output. The DVD Audio, to me, is a huge step up in sound quality - & is immediately noticeable. DVD Audio discs are hard to come by, I've tried ELP Brain Salad Surgery and Foreigner. Yes, you have to use the DVD player decoders & run analog cables to the external decoder jacks on your receiver. I've seen a Technics receiver that will decode DVD Audio digital input.

The progressive scan output is underwhelming on the other hand. Maybe because this is such a cheap unit? I'm using a Sony 42" plasma TV with Monster 3 component video cables. I'm hard-pressed to tell the difference over 480i input.

For the money, the DVD Audio alone is worth it.

Toshiba is coming out with the SD4700 this summer. It will have progressive scan and DVD-Audio capabilities. It may be worth a look just for the DVD-A. I plan on putting my SD2200 in the spare system so I will have HDCD and putting the SD4700 in the main system for DVD-A and progressive scan.