"New To Tubes Review" - 299A

easyeyes

Received my rebuilt 299A a week ago today, all I can say is that the sound is much better than what I was using before. This is my first tube experience so I do not have anything to compare to it besides the SS I used before.

The first thing that I immediately noticed was that the speakers aren't as obvious as before; the sound seems like it's coming from behind the speakers. I have a KLF c-7 on top of my entertainment center that's not hooked up, sitting in the sweet spot, it appears the sound is coming from it.

The overall sound of the music is more pleasant, I've listened to this for hours at a time and it still sounds good. After an hour or so with the other equipment I wanted to turn it down or turn it off. The sound stage sort of opened up, there is more separation of where the istruments are coming from, the right side or the left side. I tend to not only hear the singer, but I can also hear a lot of what's going on around the individual, the back ground etc.

Going into this I prepared myself for the worst, I was thinking that the bass was going to be uncontrollabe and flabby considering there are four 12' woofers with only 17 watts of power. Not all what the reality is, I noticed that the bass is not as quick but it doesn't sound bad, I am getting used to it. The midrange and highs definitely makes up for I lost in the bass department.

Thus far I'm very well pleased with the sound of the amp. I was told that it takes a while for the tubes to settle in and then the sound comes alive even more. With how I feel now with about 10-15 hours of listening time under the amp's belt, I will be even more surprised in a couple of months.

At first I was very apprehensive about heading down this tube road, but now that I have, I'm thankful for all of the support and encouragement from all of you to take the plunge.

EE

With your two ears coupled to the worlds most powerful, 20 billion calculations per second, redundant and parallel-processing supercomputer, they become an incredible learning device. The difference in the type of Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) created by vacuum tube amplification versus the THD created by integrated circuitry is learned, noticed and eventually becomes irritating. A double blind study in Europe confirmed that the more tube components involved in the movie and music reproduction system, the more enjoyable the long term listening experience.

Since our profiles on this new and improved forum site do not include our listings of Klipsch equipment, it is hard to know what you have for equipment. But if you have a subwoofer, try standing next to it and dial it up so you can just barely hear the bass. Since most moderate price subwoofers have plenty of mid-bass output and contribute to the upper bass and mid-range regions, this can give you some more oomph in the mid-bass area and help support the tube amplifiers.

2.gif