Rear Channel Speakers

Sgt. Johnson

I have a Pair of LaScallas ( I have owned them since 1980!) in a nice Home theater system. I use a pair of Klipsch KSB 2.1's for surround. Problem is, I cant hear them over the LaScallas (I know everything is hooked properly, I can hear the speakers if I am right on top of them)

The question on the floor then, is: what should I replace these surround speakers with? Hereseys? Fortes? Chorus'? Any Suggestions? Thanks Sgt. Johnson

The recommendation is to stay timbre matched and use Heritage speakers (Heresy, La Scala, Belle, Cornwall, KHorn) --more LaScala's ideally . Academy would work but they are hard to find and premium priced.

There are several threads on this with more data.

Every time I ask if Heresys are enough for surrounds to complement my Cornwalls I get big replies that bigger is better.

I'm gonna jump in here at the outset, full-well knowing that mine will be the "voice of one, crying in the wilderness".15.gif Yes, the concensus in these parts is "timbre matched / bigger the better"; which is all well and good if that is your bent, BUT, hearken brother to an "alternative lifestyle" 6.gif If your room and/or budget are on the diminutive side, or if just you want to be "surrounded by surround" instead of having it beamed at you from the back corners, try some RS7's on the side walls. (98db sens.) They could always be augmented on the bottom end with your sub. To take nothing away from the arguments for full-sized, timbre matched surrounds, there is a lot to be said for speakers that are ~designed~ to function as surround speakers; to envelope the listening area with a diffuse ambience. Just my ever-so-humble opinion. And anybody who disagrees can kiss my ...HAHAHAHA-just kidding!9.gif

----------------

On 1/18/2003 1:52:29 AM James D McCall wrote:

I'm gonna jump in here at the outset, full-well knowing that mine will be the "voice of one, crying in the wilderness".
15.gif
Yes, the concensus in these parts is "timbre matched / bigger the better"; which is all well and good if that is your bent, BUT, hearken brother to an "alternative lifestyle"
6.gif
If your room and/or budget are on the diminutive side, or if just you want to be "surrounded by surround" instead of having it beamed at you from the back corners, try some RS7's on the side walls. (98db sens.) They could always be augmented on the bottom end with your sub. To take nothing away from the arguments for full-sized, timbre matched surrounds, there is a lot to be said for speakers that are ~designed~ to function as surround speakers; to envelope the listening area with a diffuse ambience. Just my ever-so-humble opinion. And anybody who disagrees can kiss my ...HAHAHAHA-just kidding!
9.gif

----------------

I agree fully with your assessment...

So now you get to decide. There are two options...each with there avid supporters:

1. timbre matched full range speakers

- two on the sides, slight rear, slightly above listener

- one or two in the rear center

2. the RS family mentioned above designed for a diffuse surround sound. This approach certainly is lower cost, easier to place and not as dominant in the room. You can hear the RF7/RC7/RS3 setup at ULTIMATE in a theatre room.

Hey folks,

I am at a loss, I mean really. About 3 weeks ago, after making my last equipment related purchase about 8 years ago, I decided we needed a new home theatre. I was was looking at some of the HTiB from Sony, but happened upon the forum at Audioreview and became impressed with the need to build my system rather than go the HTiB route. I ended up with RF-3 II's, RC-3, KSW-12 (boomy- played with it a little, but) and the Onk tx-sr800 keeping my AM5 in the rear for the time being. Stumbling upon this wonderfull forum I am becoming impressed with the need to move my RF/C-3 to the back and pick up some RF/C-7 for the front.

To tell you the truth, I really do not know what to do. Our room is currently very small but I am building for 3 years down the road when we build our house. I am overwhelmed by the wealth of information available here. I do not want to be told what to buy - but I do want to know what I should be listening for - I guess I just want to learn. Is there a good up to date book out there somewhere, something to get me up to speed? I do not want the best - lol - my hearing is probably not good enough to tell the difference between good and best, my wife is not as picky as I am; but I love good music and I enjoy the HT experience with family and friends. Just point me in the right direction. BTW, for some reason I cannot get the search engine to work correctly in this forum, Anyone else have that problem?

Thanks

Your right about this as a megainfo source... on more things than you might imagine, kippyieh. When it comes to Klipsch there are several different approaches. The smallest and cheapest goes to the ProMedia world. Entry level to the bigger stuff starts in the Synergy area. The Reference level speakers are voiced more for the audiophile crowd and represent great values by that standard. Traditional PWK (Paul W. Klipsch) diehards head for the Heritage series... speakers in which the old master had a direct hand... right up to the venerable Klipschorn which has been a steady seller for over 50 years!

That's a thumbnail on the new stuff... now for the treasures that used to be made in Hope... truly great vintage Klipsch systems can be put together that will absolutely knock your socks of for HT. For example, my Klipsch Legend-based, timbre-matched HT features six KLF-30's in a 6.1 configuration plus a pair of KLF-C7's as front effects speakers. My audio system is based on Klipschorns with a Belle in the middle (just like PWK had in his home when he passed on)... and I have a lower priced Synergy based system in my motorhome with WDST surrounds... because even 30' Class "A" motorhomes are an audio nightmare.

Bear in mind that different Klipsch families are "voiced" differently... so mixing and matching between speaker families tends to be less than ideal. Also, building up a system by buying main speakers today that become side/surround speakers tomorrow as you invariably go through the upgrade dance makes some economic sense. Take time out to hear different speaker families at audio stores or better yet friends homes. Some Forum members have gotten their first earful of Heritage or Legend speakers by being invited to the home of another Klipsch Forum member.

This is a web site that has proven to be of continuing value year after year. Few flamers and a whole lot of helpful folks... that know what they are doing... and if not, you'll see a lot of folks setting them straight. Welcome aboard. =HornEd