rb-3 vs rs-3

lancestorm

Lance. I am running the RB-3's as surrounds with my RF-3ii's and they work great. A few things to consider:

1) Music: I like listening to music with 5ch stereo on my receiver and for this it works great as the RB-3 images really well for stereo music reproduction. With the RS-3's you will get a much more diffuse and ambient sound. Not as accurate as the RB's for music. Also, the RB's have better bass responsse.

2) Mounting options: If you plan on wall mounting your surrounds, you might make a case for using the RS-3s as the RB's are rear ported and you would be increasing the bass response (possibly making it sound a little bit boomy) if placed close to a wall, or decreasing the bass response if placed flat against the wall and blocking the port. Either way is not recommended. Having said that however, I have mine flat against the wall and they sound okay for the time being.

3)Future flexibility: If you ever decide to upgrade or change your system, the RB's can be moved to another system as mains or as stereo monitors. The RS's can only be used as surrounds in any system. (At least I can't imagine anyone wanting to use these as mains)

4) Room size: I'll make another case for the RS's. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the RS's will be better if you have a narrow room. Reason being, having the RB's facing directly at you on the sides in a narrow room would tend to emphasize the surrounds too much because they would be too close to the seating position. The RS's in this case would bounce the sound around as opposed to firing it directly at you. Also, I think the RB's need a bit of distance from the seating position to image properly as surrounds.

5) Aesthetics: The RB's have a wood finish and look better imo.

6) Surround sound preference: Do you like ambience or accuracy in movie surround effects? Ambience is more enveloping. Accuracy localizes effects better. (ie where a bullet is coming from) I lean towards accuracy. So I went with the RB's.

This is all I can think of right now. Also, keep in mind your mains: If you go RF-5 or higher get the RB-5's instead of the 3's. If you decide on RS, get the RS-7 only if you go RF-7. Then there is the last option of have your surrounds the same as your mains. More expensive, but probably the best solution for sound.

Good luck.

-UP

I've been reading a lot of people suggesting all my speakers should be RF-3II's. I thought a good variation with a dedicated RC-3II and RB-3II for the surrounds would be a better setup than just 5 of the same speaker. Can someone explain this a little better other than it being the ideal reference setup or that HornEd dies by this ... ?