Opinions on Marantz 2215B

PHIL O

Man, are you Bizzarro Yankee?

The 2215B is another pleasant low watt SS receiver of the 70s that people like that does nothing really special but is not particularly offensive as some SS can be. Name is loved by many. Has some warmth but not too much resolving power. At least it's not clinical as a trip to the dentist with Laurence Olivier. If super cheap at a yard sale, why not? Go for it.

You have moved randomly from amp to amp like on Ibogaine with a blindfold on! Crazee-Eyes PHILO! Remember to keep an eye on ebay as there have been a HOST of good integrateds popping up of all the brands and types recommended to you over the last five or six posts, most at VERY reasonable prices. I have been following your posts and scratching my head. Patience is a virtue in all things vintage audio...or course you also have to be diligent and ready to act fast when the need arises. What is the BEST questions rarely are that easy, especially all in a row.

kh

I took a Marantz 2270 (same era, more power) to a McIntosh clinic. When Mr. O'Brian (Mac's head tester) had finished, he looked over his glasses at me and said, "They have real engineers over there."

We have a 2210 here at the radio station which has been on all the time since it was bought in the early seventies and it still works fine.

The problems to look for are:

The push-button switches (particularly the power switch) failing.

The dial and stereo indicator lights burning out.

The volume control not tracking well (i.e. the volume changes faster on one channel than the other as you turn the knob)(or cuts out completely) especially at lower settings.

Other than that these are great little units without any serious vices.

10.gif

Capt Bob: Yet another who discovers the beauty of leaving these solid state devices on all the time for best service. Our radio station left the ss gear on ALL the time as well. Not a single problem. Two of the pieces happened to be NAD integrateds. I had one of the same pieces as well. IT was stored occasionally and run through a host of on and off cycles. IT became a hum machine with cap replacement needed. The unit on ALL the time? Nada. I started leaving my SS gear on all the time back in the 80s and kept it up until I sold my last piece. The only SS gear I dont leave on all the time are models with motors ie certain NAD take decks. The lubrication will disappear...still, even besides that you will rarely run into problems. I will say I have NEVER had a problem with a solid state piece of gear left on and forgotten. Not only are you rewarded with better service, the unit stays warmed up all the time (of course, the energy waste is a negative as well).

Besides the display, CD players perform much better left on as they many times take up to 24 hours to start to sound as good. My Planet (the display is turned off) has not been off unless leaving town or changing IC (or the all important vinyl session with freaks listening).

kh