Replacement sub for 2.1?

gtrz

I originally posted this on the 2.1

Hi,first post here,didn't even know there was a forum until lately.

I've owned the 2.1's for about 1 1/2 years.Gotta say first off that

when I got my Klipsch I couldn't believe my ears,I thought wow,these sound

great!I may not be as picky

(audiophilewize)as some but I am a music lover and musician.Just this week

I got the omnimount stands in the mail too.I saved about $20 by just finding

an omnimount dealer online rather than buying them from Klipsch.They're

cool and work great with them btw.

I have a question about the sub though.A few months ago I noticed,actually about

the time I upgraded from WinME to XP,that the bass started getting to lose

and muddy at higher volumes.I was using an Aureal SQ2500 sound and I thought,

it's just cause I lost the equalizer going to XP and I can't adjust the

bass as well now.So,I bought a Santa Cruz card and I got my equalizer back

but at higher volumes you really have to turn (mostly the 75 Hz)down quite

a bit for the bass to stay tight.I think my sub is kind of spanked now.I was

wondering first off how hard it is to yank the sub out of the box(any baffling to get out of the way,speaker glued or not)?I don't

care about voiding a warranty cause I've gotten plenty good use out of them.

How much is a direct replacement sub costing?Can I even get one?Most importantly,can anyone recomend a (better)replacement sub I can throw in the

box that would match in the system(brand name,sku)?Actually,it's not bad enough off to call it blown because it doesn't have the buzzing or anything,

just sounds like it's seen it's better days.I can still live with it,just

thought I'd throw that question out there.Thanks!

I don't get it..What do you mean,sigh?Do you mean I should have searched more

on this forum because this topic has been beat to death already?Or,possibly

you're implying I'm on the wrong forum and this is only for upper end snob

sub systems?I'm not intending to be any more rude than someone with a sad

face going(sigh)..

I'm thinking he sighed because if i recall the 2.1 uses dual 6.5 inch cones, which he probably doesn't consider subwoofer worthy. I think your best bet would be to stick with the 2.1 forum, as this forum really is for higherend stuff, at least you didn't post this in the 2-channel audio forum.

Well,at least you spoke..The Klipsch 2.1 just uses 1 driver though,I think

the 4.1 is what uses 2.The reason I put it here is because no one has answered or probably ever will on the 2.1 forum.This place is for Klipsch

questions though,am I right?And it is a sub question?There isn't 1 person

on a Klipsch forum that can or is willing to answer any of my questions about

my Klipsch system huh?That's funny,because I doubt there's anywhere else under the sun that would be a more suitable place to ask them.

Well, I can't answer your question, and I'm not too sure anyone will. There seems to be some resentment towards the pro-media line. I would say your best bet is to contact parts@klipsch.com and ask them about replacements. Either that or throw in the towel and buy a complete Heritage system, then your questions will be answered quickly.

gtrz, NO the sigh was not meant as anything rude I'm sure. We don't tolerate snobbyness on these forums. I would have probably said the same thing. The "sigh" was probably said out of sympathy. Meaning trying to replace the driver on the 2.1's is more trouble than it's worth. First of all, short of just slaughtering the sub, I don't know how you would remove the metal grille. It's not meant to be removed so it will be messy. Then unless you can buy the driver from klipsch, finding a good replacement for it might not be that easy. You'll need to find something with similar excursion and magnet profile. AS the enclosure is pretty small, trying to work around the amp and port mat be pretty tricky. If you are quite handy and have experience in these sorts of projects then maybe none of this will be an issue. Personally, I would not attempt it because I would probably end up destroying the sub.

I have a similar problem with an old set of 2.1's I have hooked up to my computer. When I play that rare piece of music with really low bass freqs, I get really bad distortion that I never used to get before. I can live with it though because I don't use my computer for music anyways. The 2.1 sub is a bit boomy relative to most non-multi-media subs, but I believe mine has gotten boomier with age. (ie. not as tight) This maybe a result of me stressing the sub too much when I first got it. But how can you resist right?

Sorry for not having a good answer to your problem. My only suggestion is to try and search ebay for parts or cheap 2.1' systems. If you're serious about replacing the driver, email klipsch and ask how much a replacement would cost if they can sell it to you. Otherwise, if you have the funds and can't live with the 2.1's performance right now, get something new. (Maybe separate bookshelfs and a separate sub? Will sound better but cost a lot more)

We can all relate to wanting more good sound after you've been introduced initially. The upgrades never end. "sigh" 2.gif

-UP

Thanks for the post U.P..It surprised me though you talking about taking the

sub out the front,I assumed you would take the plate off the back and get at

it that way?Maybe it's just way crowded in there anyway.But the info about

what I'd find inside and the stats on what kind of upgrade sub I'd need is what I was after I guess.Like if someone had a jpg of what the inside looked

like,so I knew whether to bother or not.

I haven't looked into getting a better upgrade sub yet but I would think there are plenty to choose from.What

is it,a 6 1/2?And the excursion,how would I know?I know that means front to

back movement right?I am pretty handy though,capable of it.That is unless like you say I'd have to completely cosmeticaly destroy the box.And say if

I did upgrade the sub,more power handling,bigger magnet,might I stress an

already hot amplifier and fry it?I suppose I'd have to match sensitivity rating too?Maybe not?

It's amazing what a little sub can do these days though,I looked and looked

for a sub solution for my S10 pickup,something small that would fit easily,

I don't do the 2 10 inchers shaking the chassis apart thing.I actually found

the answer at a local store that sold the Kenwood WA62RC.It has a 5 1/4

in sub and passive radiator all in a small little package.OUtput 100 watts peak,The thing kicks ***!So I bet there's a better 6 1/2 out there for my

Klipsch box..