opinion before I purchase a onkyo sr 700 v. sr800

arc

Has anyone had any direct experience with these two models? I am considering purchasing one but I have found mixed internet opinions on these products particularly that they the watts are overated/miscalculated - i.e these 100 watt systems sound more like 50 watt systems. I have also heard that the SR700 sounds a bit tinny and it has a self protection circuit that shuts the system down when the A/V becomes too loud (i.e. a gunshot in a movie will trip the circuit). Does anyone own one and have any direct experience.

Thanks a lot in advance.

My wife actually bought me the SR 700 for christmas ($599 from jandr.com) so I've gotten to use it a fair bit. I would say that this receiver will not put out 100 watts into 6 channels but does easily into 2 channels. As far as it shutting off with high volumes, I haven't experienced it yet and I have had it up louder than I can stand to watch a movie. I have also not noticed the receiver stressing at any level of output, of course my speakers are 98 dB efficient. The one thing that I have found that I don't like is the speaker distance calibration. The front l/r and rear l/r are adjusted at the same distance no matter what and at full foot marks, and the center channel can only be the same distance or less than the front l/r. THis works for my setup and should work for most, but they should allow you more flexibility. Another feature that I have been messing around with is the Direct mode and Pure audio mode. I can't remember right now which is which but I'll give an explanation. One of them is a straight path from source to amplifiers bypassing all processing and even shuts off the front display on the receiver. It runs the front 2 channels full spectrum with no sub and no bass treble control, etc. The other mode is quite similar but allows you to use a sub and leaves the front display on. The cinema filter is also nice for movies. As for adequate power, I have settled on running my front l/r full range with the center and surrounds cut at 80 hz and there is no audible stress during movies. You may be able to notice it with lower sensitivity speakers but I surely don't. People talk about Onkyo having a bright sound, but when I a/b'd the Onkyo vs an H/K I didn't notice a difference in the mid range to hi's. I did notice that the H/K did have slightly more authority in the bass region but nothing to be concerned with if running a sub.

I owned the 696, which was the previous generation 700 and was not all that pleased. First, it sounded to my ears to be bright and thus not the best match for Klipsch speakers. Secondly, the power was anemic. I think it tested out to 46 watts per channel, with all channels being driven simultaneously. Third, Onkyos have had a number of problems with their gear including audio dropouts and clicking sounds. I'm not sure if these have been resolved in the newest equipment or not. I'd check over at The Home Theater Spot where they have a dedicated Onkyo forum and currently have a thread listing problems owners are encountering. As for the newest models, at Home Theater Forum, there has been a lot of mention with the 500 not have a LFE line that functions properly. I don't know personally how isolated this is or if it extends to the 700/800 lines.

Arc:

For whatever it is worth I have had the sr800 for about a week now and have absolutely no complaints. I did quite a bit of research before I purchased (though I failed to find this great forum); Consumer Reports consistently gave very good ratings to the Onkyo recievers for performance and reliability - though I am sure independent experiences will vary.

I am using the Onk with RF-3's, RC-3 and AM5 (ugh) in the rear. This was my first digital receiver and it beat my 9+ yr old Sony all to pieces. Performance wise I couldn't ask for anything better; but since participating in this forum I think I should have considered the Denon models.

I am currently thinking about upgrading to RF-7's all around, but I am somewhat hesistant with the Onks purported brightness. What to do if you cannot hear? I guess buy locally and take them back if you don't want em. I may just go with the 5's.

BTW - I picked mine up for $779 NIB.

Peace

Although I can not speak about the SR-800, I did have the SR-700 for about 3 weeks before I returned it. Let me start by saying that I did not have my klipsch at the time that I was using this reciever. The speakers I had had a sensitivily of about 90db. I did have a problem with the amp shutting down. Once, I even had to unplug the unit, and let it cool down for 15 min, before it would turn back on. With regards to sound quality, I found the trebble very in your face, and the bass a little sloppy(lacking definition). These were the main reasons that I returned this product. I'm not sure what it would have sounded like with klipsch, but the shutdown problem made me very apprehensive of even trying it. I would try to stick with H/K, Denon, or Pioneer Elite if I were you. The Elites have some really nice features depending on your price range.