RF-3 driver setup..2nd 8 a bass driver only?

miconis

Hey guys. This might be a really ignorant question, but I have to ask it. OK here is the deal. I am having a get together next weekend and I am going to move my RF-3s to the other room. I am wanting to put them against a wall but with a sofa in front of them. The sofa's back is exactly 24" high. I measured the RF-3s and the top 8 inch driver's bottom is just about 24" also. My question is the internal setup of the RF-3s. Is the bottom 8 incher a bass driver only? Is this the only driver that utilizes the port in the back or do both 8 in drivers perform the exact same function? I am just trying to figure out if placing them behind the sofa will block any of the necessary sound. But if all the directional sound is from the horn and top 8, then I should be ok I am assuming, since I will have the RF-3s and 2 Velodyne 12s in the room as well.

If anyone knows anything about this I would GREATLY appreciate some info. If it turns out I shouldn't block that bottom 8, then I will have to find something to raise both of them up on to get them all above the sofa. Thanks for reading this novel.

Mike

Mike, the RF-3's are a two-way speaker. Both woofers are playing up to 2000Hz. Putting the sofa in the way of one of the woofers will make the high frequencies louder than the low frequencies. The new RF models coming out soon have a 2.5 way crossover similar to the RC3. I am not sure on the numbers, but it is something like one woofer does 2000Hz and lower and the other does 800Hz and lower.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you should have the RF's at the very least 8 to 12 inches from the wall so the bass doesn't get too distorted.

I hope this novel is helpful. Good luck and enjoy!

JT

I thought the RC3 was a two way as well. I thought both woofers did the exact same thing? I know Polk center channels have this multi-tiered crossover. But for some reason, I think that would bother me in a horizontally aligned center channel speaker.

Can someone clarify this?

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Some systems are set up so the second woofer turns on at low frequencies. Consider it simply a matter of a subwoofer turning on. Everyone likes subs.

It is correct to suspect that two drivers which are both active at higher frequencies could cause problems.

At certain listening positions, and certain frequencies, your ear can wind up being half a wavelength farther from one than the other. (I.e. the path length difference to your ear is half a wavelength.) Half a wavelength means they are out of phase. The waves cancel.

Lets consider 1000 Hz. The wavelength is about a 1 foot. It IS possible for the path length difference to be 1/2 foot.

However, this is not a problem at low frequencies. At 100 Hz, for example, the wavelength is about 10 feet. With the two woofers mounted in the same cabinet, it is impossible to have a path length difference of 5 feet. The geometry makes it impossible. So it is not a problem.

Gil

yes on the rc, i thought i did hear bobg or some klipschonian mention that it had a tapered array crossover for the 2 6.5" drivers.

believe that's under that CES thread under HT section; where he's talking of the new reference towers using the same cross concept.

interesting on that horizontal point. maybe it moves either direction(?) biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info boa, I could not remember where the heck I read that. I think it is a unique concept to use a 2.5 way crossover. It should be interesting to see what the RF-7's can do with a dedicated LF reference woofer that is 10 inches. Should be some very accurate bass.

JT