Sharing a DSL Modem

pgh

I have a network of three computers which share a DSL router. All works fine, except access to the SMTP at my ISP. The #1 computer, where the DSL modem is physically located, has no problem. It is the other computers which have a problem is sending mail. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

What software are you using on the DSL computer? I was running winroute pro a while back to share a connection, and this program had its own SMTP server, which in turn used my isp's smtp. In other words, all the connected PC's were using the gateway PC as a smtp server... maybe your software has to be set up to do this.

Does your DSL use PPPoE?

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

Shouldn't the router take care of all of the routing I have cable at home and will be buying a router. I though that the cable goes to cable modem then out to router to split to other computers. When you mentioned: "The #1 computer, where the DSL modem is physically located" I think of that as going from cable to cablemodem then to comp #1 then to router.

which way is correct?