Newbie Question

danfan

I have a pair a Klipsch KSP-300s I bought while I was overseas about 5 years ago. I recently bought a HDTV and want to "finish" out my home theater system with some rear (surround speakers). I bought the KSP-300s on the advice of a friend and really don't know that much about them. They sound great to my very untrained ear. I do know that Steely Dan never sounded so good. Anyway can anyone recommend some surround speakers? I don't have a lot of space so I would really just like to buy some bookshelf speakers to hang from the ceiling. My budget limits me to about $300 and I'd like to stick with Klipsch. Also, does anyone know anything about the KSP-300s and why Klipsh gave up on the Synergy Series so fast. My feelings won't be hurt.

Thanks!

Kenwood 1080vr

Klipsch KSP-300s

JBL SC305 Center

Hello danfan, and welcome to the Klipsch party board. You might check E-Bay right now for the matching center speaker KSF-C5 and the matching surrounds KSF-S5. They will probably cost you a little more than $300, but will be well worth their price. You didn't mention if you had a C-5 center, if you don't buy that speaker first. I bought several of them for around $200. If you happen to run across a KSP-C6 center speaker that would work with your 300's too. That is the center I use with my 300's although they usually sell for more $$.

I have asked here why the Klipsch Synergy Premiere line was discontinued but received the general answer that the average speaker line lasts for about 2 years. The Synergy Premire speakers sound better to my ears than any speaker I have ever heard (their sonic character). They sound warmer or less bright than most other Klipsch speakers and do not require that you buy tube amps to get rid of said brighness and then complain about how sorry solid state equipment is, totally disregarding the sonic character of the speakers themselves.

The C-5 center speaker has dual rear ports so if you intend to put it inside an enclosure that will affect the sound of the speaker. The C-6 center is a sealed speaker. For the difference in the usual cost of the two I personally would not recommend the C-6. The C-5 is quite a good sounding center speaker. Set it 'small' in your receiver's bass management.

The S-5 surround speakers are what Klipsch calls a "WDST" surround speaker with a woof mounted on the front face of the speaker and (2) horn tweeters mounted on either side of the woofer aimed at about a 45 degree angle toward the front and rear. Mount them about 5' to 6' off the floor to the side and slightly behind the seating position. They will give you a diffuse sound that is not localizeable which is exactly the intention of surround speakers. Some folks use monopoles for rear HT speakers and turn them away from the seated position, mimicing a true surround speaker. Neither speaker is capable of processing sound, the speakers simply play the signal fed them and processed by the processor built into your receiver or pre/pro. The speakers are wired in phase and are neither a bipole or a dipole speaker. Most folks here do not know the difference. Set them 'small' also.

The problem most folks have with powered towers are that they tend to set the bass gain too high. Set the bass volume control on the rear of each speaker at a point at which the speakers are balanced. That is, not too little nor too much gain. The location of each speaker will have an effect on that speakers sound. People generally set the bass volume too high and then complain that the speakers sound 'muddy'. From your receivers sub output run a sub cable to the 'LFE input' on the rear of one speaker. From that speaker run another sub cable from the sub OUTPUT of the first speaker to the other speakers 'LFE input'. Set the sub output in your receivers bass management menu to 'LFE only'. The LFE signal is recorded 10db higher than other low information so do not set the LFE gain too high. Set the 300's 'large'.

If there is anything I missed I'll come back later. Good luck with your Synergy's. I love all 7 of mine.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the information. I do have a center but its a cheap JBL and I'd like to replace that eventually as well. My problem is that I have a strange shaped room so I'm going to have to get creative when comes to speaker positioning. If I can't find the C5/6s do think the newer RS3-IIs will match up well? I have my system set up the way you recommended with the bass out from my reciever set to 0. Any more and the powered subs just take over. Do also have the 300s? I haven't seen anyone else mention them.

I'll send you an e-mail danfan.

Originally when the Synergy Premiere line was introduced the matching center and surrounds for the KSP300's were the KSF-C5 center and the KSF-S5 surrounds. The more expensive KSP400's used for center and surrounds the KSP-C6 center and the KSP-S6 surrounds. Both the C-6 and S-6's will cost you much more.

At the top of this page click 'Products'. When that page loads click 'Home Audio'. Then click on 'Classics'. You can scroll down and find the KSP300's and by clikcking there find the matching speakers. Klipsch lists the C-6 center and S-6 surrounds for the KSP300's.

You can find a KSF-C5 center on E-Bay that closes tomorrow. It will be a much better match for your 300's than the JBL center. There are (2) pair of KSF-S5 surrrounds on E-Bay also, one black pair and one white pair. Generally you'll pay around $175-$200 for a center in good condition and around $225-$275 for a pair of S-5 surrounds in good used condition (plus shipping). As Doug pointed out you could use the KSP-S6 surrounds (I do) but they sell for $450 and higher.

The center speakers are getting harder to find, so I would get one while you can still find one. When you hear it with your 300's you will be glad you spent the bucks. The surrrounds wall mount. Check out the pictures of them and its self explanatory. Some people (me too) have problems with wall placement with the surrrounds.

I personally wouldn't use the RS surrounds with the Synergy's. Although the surround matching would be less critical, there is much difference in the sound of the two.

Hope this helps somewhat! Oh yeah, yes I have KSP300's.

Keith