Bang for the Buck

JoeorLaurie

Be happy with your decade stretch...there is no finer enjoyment than relishing that which you stretch to achieve. It is far too easy to become jaded... and lose the edge where enjoyment thoroughly tingles!

You do not specify the area of your concern, but if it is a center channel upgrade, the RC-3 is a good choice for the money. Your front center channel is the main sound focus of most DVD's, and therefore should receive priority attention in a "budget conscious" system.

I have had good results with RS-3's in the past as well... but now have migrated to the fast disappearing Legends... and fighting the standing waves of multiple subs.

The RC-3 has performed well for me in the past as a rear center channel. I have, however, replaced it with another KLF-10. If you are doing 5.1 home theater, matching the two surrounds and rear center channel makes a far better "rear sound stage."

As I explore this rapidly expanding multi-channel world, I would urge you to build your cost effective system around the single best subwoofer you can afford (an area of current exploration for me)... then add a center channel that handles movie dialogue well... then timbre match some main speakers. 6.1 seems a shoe-in as a standard to target... but there is a wide variety of less than ideal content in the current crop of DVD's... and far too little 5.1 content actually broadcast on cable channels.

You seem to be aware that we are once again on the frontier of a new age of sound and image in our homes. Remember, the way you can recognize the pioneers is from the arrows through their pocketbooks! smile.gif HornEd... long standing inadvertent arrow collector... too sore to sit down!

------------------

"Klipsch by the Dozen"

KLF 30's Front Mains

KLF C-7 Front Center

KSW-15 Front Pwr Sub

SB-2 Front Effects

KSW-12 + KLF 10 Rear L&R

KSW-12 + KLF 10 Rear Ctr.

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

I echo HornEd's assertion that, given the choice between upgrading your rears or your center speaker, upgrade the center. It carries 80% of the load in an HT environment, and you'll want the strongest match possible for your KG4.5's.

That said, the ideal center would be a single KG4.5. Not sure what your physical layout is, but if you can creatively fit one into the setup, you'll have the best possible center speaker for your setup. In my case, someone else who was thinking outside the box suggested I get a single Forte (to match my fronts), and hang it upside down over my TV. By hanging it that way, the tweets and midrange will be close in alignment to the front speakers. Fortunately, I have the clearance over my TV to do that, and it's not in an entertainment center. So, I'm watching for a single Forte or a pair that is reasonable (and I'll keep a spare in the closet).

Alternately, you might consider a KV-3 or Academy for centers. Neither is made anymore, so you have to find one used. I used a KV-3 with my KG4's, and it was a nice match.

Doug

That's interesting! I don't know how the wife would feel about a kg4.5 on top of the entertainment center (lol).

I'm surprised you suggested the kv-3 over the RC-3. I wouldn't have thought of that since they aren't made anymore.

Do you think the KV-3 is better than the RC-3 for this system, or just less expensive? I like the direction this is going. Thanks for the help!

Joe

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

That said, the ideal center would be a single KG4.5. Not sure what your physical layout is, but if you can creatively fit one into the setup, you'll have the best possible center speaker for your setup

Doug

By the way, why doesn't Klipsch's speaker matching chart suggest this? It does seem to make sense, even if it is impractical for most people.

Joe

Hi Joe (glad you clarified that -- wasn't sure if this was Joe or Laurie smile.gif) - On second thought, as I look at the RC-3 with the 90x60 tractrix (which is what your 4.5's have) versus the KV-3 that does not have the 90x60 tractrix, it might be a better match. A little help, please, from the crowd??

As far as price goes, the KV-3 had a MSRP of $400 new, which is more than the RC-3....

Regarding the speaker matching chart -- Most people do not have the space (or $$) to use 3 identical speakers across the front, unless you are using bookshelf size speakers. That's probably why center channel speakers were designed in the first place (I'm guessing). So, since a static chart can't be all things to all people, they probably went with what most folks would consider using -- a special center channel speaker.

Again, anyone else with some input on the RC-3 as a center for the KG4.5?

Hey Joe, my personal opinion of the KG5.5's (know you have 4.5's-one less 10"-same horn) is that they are just a tad bright for music and good for HT.Do not want to sound like I do not think highly of them because I DO.In fact I am not using them now but just cannot let em go.Anyway TO MY EARS the RC-3 is just too bright for my 5.5's.The KLF-C7 is an awesome speaker and I think a better match musically with the KG's.As far as HT goes I think the C7 lacks just a tad of clarity dialogue wise but I personally prefer it to the RC3.So I think the answer to your question is update the center first.Go to your local dealer and listen to both the RC3 and the KLFC7 with your own ears,then buy the

KLFC7.I do not think you will be disappointed.

Keith

BTW,is your primary interest music or HT,or both?

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the input. While I listen to music alot, I think HT is more important (esp. since we are talking center and surrounds... I usually use only the two main speakers for music).

OK, you guys have convinced me, center it is! Now I just have to decide which one sounds better and which I can afford. That'll be fun!

I should go w/a new center speaker anyway since I think it fell off the entertainment center and sounds pretty sloppy. I was thinkin' I might just replace the cones, but who knows if that's the problem?

Joe