Sunfire rec vs the 49txi

drptpcpe

Anyone use the Sunfire yet? Or been able to compare it to the 49txi. I know the Pioneer has auto setup, but another site has written to some extent on its inaccuracy in calibrating. And of course the Sunfire is known to be 'tubey' which would pair well with Klipsch.

any ideas?

andy

Andy,

This month's Sound & Vision has a review of the Sunfire receiver. It uses a "tracking down converter" amp. Its signal to noise ratio is borderline IMO due to the type of amp used. It puts out 183 wpc, 5 channels driven into 8 Ohms. Lots of power!

The trade off seems to be power output for a decrease in the signal to noise ratio. The receiver weighs 32 pounds, so the amp design is very different than most amps.

I have a Pioneer 49TXi. It is great with Klipsch speakers. The sound is warm due to the MOS-FET amps and Burr-Brown's best DACs that it uses. It weighs 64 pounds and puts out 140 wpc, 6 channels driven into 8 Ohms per S&V.

I suspect that the Sunfire receiver sounds similar to the Sunfire separates due to similarity in the designs.

One person reported that two Sunfire receivers in a row had problems with the component video pass through. I suspect any problem has ben corrected by now.

Bill

Andy,

I too have the 49txi. When I saw the Sunfire I thought I was missing out but as Bill mentioned SnR of the Pioneer is much better. IMHO the pioneer is awesome. The automatic setup is jsut like anything else. Two schools of thought; One which I belong to it is a useful tool, the other is it stinks-I have all this other equipment that tells me the Pioneer system is incorrect in its processing.

I am constantly chaning my furniture around, hanging pictures, and so on so the Auto calibration system takes less than 10 minutes and its done.

The sound quality is superb, setup is incredibly easy, and the use is only as technically intensive as you want to make it.

So if you asked me what I dislike about the 49txi, I would tell you the size and weight of the unit; had to modify my A/V rack for ventialtion purposes.

What i like most about the 49txi, sitting back enjoying..............