4.1 thermal problems

rotorhead

I found the heatsinking inside the amp to be quite inadequate. i found a resistor that really should have been heat-sinked(or)aluminum case. sitting alone on the board, the board brown from overheating and the solder on said component (R12) looked re-melted .i was having problems with low volume static on my system . after returning a set only to experience the same problem again i decided to open it up and look at the guts of the amp. i wont pretend to be an electrical engineer , but i know a few things . i know transistors HATE HEAT . i ran the amp open air for hours listening to the sats as the amp was exposed . there was no static AT ALL . even at the lowest audible levels. where when installed in the case the static would get so bad i felt like tossing them out the window . the output transistors on the amp were always cool .(class D)? with the power switched off at the preamp , the internals of the sub are so hot it hurts to hold fingers to the heatsinks , never mind R12 - it is EXTREMELY HOT .i wonder why klipsch designed an amplifier/power supply that does not truly switch off when powered off at the preamp . when left unplugged to cool for a couple hours , the system sounded fine for a while , about 30 minutes later it was bad again . i have since corrected the problem by removing the amp from the sub case and placing it in its own fan cooled acrylic enclosure. (looks cool too) i replaced the missing amp in the case with wood to maintain internal volume . it sounds great and i have had no further problems from the system . i was looking at their new boy-racer set, i will wait and look for the reviews on them........1.gif hope i have not offended anyone , that was not my intention . just would like to hear what others think about what i have done. rotorhead

I have sent my sub off to be fixed for very similar problems....static, right channel louder than left, distortion, etc. I hope to have it fixed, just as soon as Fedex gets off their a$$ and retrieves it from the wrong delivery address and takes to Klipsch like they should have a week ago.

If it doesn't get fixed properly, 50-50 chance from what I have seen here, I would be very interested in seeing what you have done to correct yours, especially the acrylic amp case.

Any chance you can post a pic or two?

1.gif

----------------

On 2/3/2003 1:30:50 PM Snuf wrote:

I have sent my sub off to be fixed for very similar problems....static, right channel louder than left, distortion, etc. I hope to have it fixed, just as soon as Fedex gets off their a$$ and retrieves it from the wrong delivery address and takes to Klipsch like they should have a week ago.

If it doesn't get fixed properly, 50-50 chance from what I have seen here, I would be very interested in seeing what you have done to correct yours, especially the acrylic amp case.

Any chance you can post a pic or two?

1.gif

----------------

sure snuf , i will post pics in a few days . i loaned my digital camera to a friend . as soon as he gets back i will snap some shots of it . rotorhead 1.gif

• 3 weeks later...