RB-3 or SB-2 for surround?

ctullo

I am currently living in a townhouse that has a finished basement where my home theater is set-up. I have forte II's and a C-7 for the center which I am pretty happy with even with the timbre differences. Now I need surround speakers. I want monopole and I cannot fit full size speakers, so forget about another set of forte's. I actually will need to suspend the speaker from the ceiling. I know that the reference is a better speaker but will it sound just as off as the synegery model? Would it be worth the extra money? I will probably being moving in another three years and I can then re-think my surround set-up but I need something for now. My home theater is used for 90% movies and 10% music. I do have DVD-audio capabilities but have yet to out and actually get any DVD's to listen to...

I use SB-2's for my rear surrounds with KLF-20 mains and a C-7 center. I think they're a good match--as good as anything else and a more reasonable price. I haven't tried RB-3's for rear surrounds, but I've tried an RC-3 and RS-3's (in-home) and thought the Reference line was an awful match for my KLF-20's. I also tried the SS-1's and KSP-S6s before settling on the SB-2's. My reasoning: IMO the SB-2 sound matched better than the Reference series, they performed about as well for rear surround use as anything else I tried, they sounded great on their own, they were affordable, and I felt I would have a better chance of re-using them down the road when I upgrade (good bookshelf speakers could go in the kitchen, office, etc.). From my trial-and-error and other posts on this forum, I think the only way I would get dramatic improvement for my rear surround/match, at least worth the extra price, would be to use two more KLF 20's (unfortunately I don't have the room or funds). So, I say go with the SB-2's unless you're planning on upgrading to all Reference later. They're great little speakers. Oh--and I thought the SB-2's were much better than the SB-1's and even slightly better than the SB-3's.

I have them on some pretty sturdy adjustable-height satellite speaker stands. A bit precarious, but I have just enough room for the stands and I don't have children or pets. I have them positioned to the side of the listening area. I don't have a ton of room, so my seating is against the rear wall of the room. The SB-2's are on the stands in the rear corners, to the side of seating, pointing directly at the seating (i.e., not toed in--perpendicular to the side walls and parallel with the rear wall. I'd say they're about 6" higher than my ear when seated, about 4" from the side wall, and about 2" from the rear wall. To be honest, I haven't played around with the positioning much, but this seems to work pretty well for my room. I'd like to try them in the same position but a bit higher and angled down at the listening area, but you're right that mounting is difficult without any mounting holes. You might search the forum, as I think I might have seen some posts about similar mounting situations/solutions in past. There's also some good info about positioning for rear monopoles, which might/might not agree with my positioning. I consulted this, and I think I went with the main grain for positioning, but I honestly can't remember.