What to ask a seller of heritage speakers?

DiscoDisco

Hello,

First time here, seeking advice:

I'm looking to purchase used Heritage speakers for a bar, but have very little technical knowledge of the subject. I do have someone helping me with the general design of the sound system, but I would be the one looking for and purchasing the actual equipment.

I've been looking at listening bars around the world for inspiration, and I've seen mostly La Scalas, Khorns, Heresys, and Cornwalls. I see all of these on used sites, and I'm wondering what set of initial questions I can ask sellers before trying to meet in person and check them out (my follow-up question will be, what to look at/check when meeting in person... :) )

In an ideal situation, I'd have a pro buyer doing this for me, but this option isn't available for me currently - I'd appreciate any suggestions you have on how I could go about it myself.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I feel that there are some basic questions that are useful to ask anytime you are buying something used.

1) how long have you owned it?

2) why are you selling?

3) is everything original?

4) if no to #3, what was changed (was it an intentional modification or a repair), why was it changed, who did the work, and what parts were used. 

More specific:

1) Listen to all the drivers and make sure they work

2) if you have any concerns, ask the seller to open the cabinet and check that the drivers are correct. The second post in this thread has a list of the stock drivers for all the heritage speakers:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/212916-klipsch-heritage-series-historical-reference-data-v4-–-27-january-2016-by-groomlakearea51-with-additional-information-from-the-historian/

There are a few, well known sources for Klipsch OEM and aftermarket parts including JEM Performance Audio (the only Klipsch approved source for new capacitors), Crites Speakers (aftermarket), and ALK (aftermarket). If someone says they have parts from any of these sources, I wouldn’t be concerned about it.

Like buying anything used, you kind of have to size up the seller. If they seem legit and the speakers check out, it really comes down to price.

Price varies widely based on condition, what model you are buying, what version you are buying, and where you are buying. Heresys will be a fraction of the cost of Klipschorns. Original Heresy’s will be significantly cheaper than Heresy III’s. However, there shouldn’t be much price difference within the same version of speakers. For example, a Cornwall made in 1960 and one made in 1980 are both version 1. They have slightly different drivers, because Klipsch made some minor changes over time, but if the condition is similar price should be similar.

Hope this is some help.

• Like 2

Also, it may be worth noting that on some earlier Heritage models, the front covers are not removable. I am not sure which models and years this is true but the grill on my 1970 Cornwalls is not removable but it was on a version 1 pair of Cornwall’s that were built in the early 80’s. 

I say this because it is always a good idea to visually inspect the drivers but on certain models you won’t be able to unless you open up the cabinet.

• Like 1