Help Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

chacal

Just installed my new tube amps into my system....woo-hoo! They look nice with those big blue power meters. So far I can't get them to read more than 2 watts before the dogs go running downstairs for cover.....

BUT there is a terrible hummmmmmmmm coming from my Khorns now, with or without a signal source. And, I know where it's coming from! There's this little box on the coax that runs to the DISH receiver, it's called a Power Inserter, and it powers the multi-switch (six DISH receivers in the house). When I unplug it from the AC, presto!, the hum goes away....but so does my cable signal.

The multi-switch has no direct provision for AC power, it has to be powered via this inserter.

How do I get rid of this hum?

Getting rid of the hum demon has always been something of a black art.

Generally you want everything grounded at one place.

Try inverting the plug on the power converter, and connecting and disconnecting separate ground leads to your equipment. Don't do this while the equipment is on, or you may send the dogs running out the new hole you've just blasted in the back wall of your home.

You might also try Radio Shack. They have a few little gizmos designed for just such a problem. The trick will be finding an "associate" who knows where in the store to look.

A final note of warning - in the less safety concerned days of old, it was possible to get 110 volts (or even 220) on the chassis of various tape decks, amps and so on. Be careful and alert to any odd smells, tubes turning red, and so on.

2.gif

Hi folks,

Thanks for the input. I ended up moving the power inserter to another TV in the house, that got rid of the major hum. The remaining minor hum was made quiet with a Radio Schwak $15.00 ground loop elim. kit that goes in-line from the pre-amp to the amp.....i've heard that these cut down on the sound quality but for now, it's better than the dreadful hum.

While we're at it, have any of you guys had any experience with the Monster or Panamax AC line conditioners....does it really make a $600-1200 difference in the sound quality? Surge suppression is not a concern of mine, so it's the AC "cleanliness" that is of question.

Thanks

Len