cheap amp...

DrWho

a friend of mine has come across a pair of speakers that he now wants to use with his pc/ht...the problem is he needs an amp to power them and isn't willing to spend much money on it (like under $50). anyways, i was wondering if any of u bright ppl on this forum knew of some places that might sell the raw parts necessary for building an amp (preferably solid state) or if any of y'all know of any cheap amps that cost that little. it would really only need to put out around 15-30 watts as these speakers are fairly sensitive and he doesn't listen to music loud anyway.

i know something like this must exist because u can buy entire computer speaker sets for like $10 and they have 3 watt amplifiers in them. i've done a moderate amount of searching on ebay and on various electronic sites as well as in various electronics stores, but have found nothing. anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guessing he needs more than just an amp, right? Like a preamp/receiver also? If he only needs 2-channel, pick up a used SS amp from the 70's on Ebay or a garage sale. I got a Marantz that cleaned up beautifully for $8 at a garage sale. I've seen some old HK receivers on Ebay for cheapo, too.

DD

Good stuff at Goodwill and yard sales, think heft and look for weight (heavy power supplies, etc.). My $5 Onkyo receiver seems works as well as the $500 Sony next door. For $99, the Antique Sound Labs Wave 8s are hard to beat tube amplifiers 2.gif

thrifting, eh? do people actually sell electronics at garage sales? cause if that's the case, im gonna hitch up with my mom or grandma and some of their friends when they go garage sale shopping 2.gif

so, any of you guys got tips in regards to the whole thrifting thing? it sounds like this might be something fun to do 2.gif

"Thrifting?" So that's the upscale word for it now, eh? 3.gif

It takes patience. I rarely find something worth buying -- usually it is early 80s to 90s department store stuff (brand names excluded so as not to offend), with scuffs/missing buttons/etc... But, once in a while, you do find a diamond in the rough that just needs cleaning.

Some of the stuff on Ebay might be a faster route, like those HK430s...

DD