Breaking in new RF-3's

gcrump

I was wanting to know the proper break in period for new RF-3 floorstanding speakers. They are my first Klipsch purchase, and definitely not my last. I just want to make sure they sound outstanding as long as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gcrump,

After reading on the forum and other locations, I have found many different opinions about breaking speakers in. I have never read any thing in the manuals about how to break in or how long to play at a certain volume. You can check previous posts for some more info.

Some people will tell you that speakers do not break in and that it is your ears that adjust to the speakers and the specific sound each puts out. Others will tell you to play a lot of full range music(lots of highs and lows) for a couple days at a low volume, others say a high volume.

I don't think you have to baby the speakers like a new car in the 80's, they said don't go above 55mph or 4000rpm for at least 1000 miles.

I am sure you will get a few responses from the people here, they are a great bunch and extremely knowledgeable.

In my opinion the way to break in your new speakers is to put in some of your favorite music or movies and enjoy!!!

Because half of the work in a Klipsch loudspeaker is borne by a horn, not a cone driver, the break in time should be less and the changes between new and broken drivers should not be so noticeable. The biggest differences I have noticed with break in time was with single driver models, where all of the critical mid-range is handled by one cone driver.

You can break in any loudspeaker quickly though, by placing the two loudspeakers face to face closely together and playing a wide variety of music continuously for 34 to 48 hours. Of course, that is if you do as I say, not as I do. What I do with new loudspeakers that require break-in time, is place them on my office receiver and let the radio play for a couple of days with the door closed. 2.gif