A Few Klipsch Questions..

lufters

I'm running a Yamaha RX-V1300 and have RF-3II for the front mains, RC-3II for Front center channel, KSW-12, and Sony surround speakers for my rears. I plan on upgrading my rear speakers....

1. The obvious choice for the rear surrounds would be the RS-3II, but while looking at the specs I think the RS-7's would be a better match if you compare them to my front mains (RF-3II). Sensitivity is the same (98dB) and woofer size. I was always told the Front mains should match the surrounds. I was also told at one point by a salesman that it would make more sense to get another pair of RF-3II for the surrounds. What should I go with for my surrounds?

2. What should my rear channel speaker be? Another RC-3II center channel speaker or a third surround (RS-7,etc.)? Is it possible to buy just one RS?

3. I plan on getting the HSU VTF-3 for my LFE and taking my existing KSW-12 and using it with my rear surrounds (or should I use it with my front center). Should I even bother getting a second sub?

4. I have all of my speakers set to large on my Yamaha receiver. Since these speakers can easily handle the low frequencies this would make sense....correct? A matter of preference?

Thanks,

JL

JL -

1) Yes, using another pair of RF-3s for your rears would be wonderful if you have the room for them. That would work nicely for multichannel music, as well as HT.

2) Rear center could be yet another RF-3. Alternately, you would use a center channel like the RC-3 rather than a WDST-style like the RS-n. The centers should "anchor" sound rather than disperse it.

3) You mean a second sub in place of the KSW-12, or in addition to, as you described? Depends on if you like the woo***e you have. The KSW-12 is a fine sub, but there are more robust subs out there (for more $, of course, including the RSW series).

4) I'd try setting them to small and see if you like it better. The woofers in the RF-3 are asked to do a lot -- all the way from 37hz on up to 1975 hz. You may find that relieving them of the sub-80hz work will improve the overall sound.

Doug

Thank you for the info.

On the subject of setting the speakers to small.....I have my sub set at 70hz>, so if I set my speakers to small I would have to set my sub to 90hz since that is the cut off with my Yamaha receiver at the small setting. Isn't 90hz to high for a sub since it starts to become a little directional at the higher hz? I feel like it's a good waste of my mains and other speakers. It's to bad Yamaha receivers don't have more flexibility. I'm just wondering what most profesional installations do with this with my type of setup.

Thanks,

JL

JL - You don't HAVE to put your speakers to small. You just may wish to. Try both ways to see what sounds best to YOU. I have my Chorus, with 15" woofers that do nicely down to the mid 40's, set to small, 'cause my sub does that stuff better.

If you DO go with small, set the crossover on your woofer as high as it will go, so it is not interfering with the crossover in the Yamaha. In fact, if you have your sub hooked to the sub out on your Yamaha, you want to set your sub crossover as high as possible anyway so as not to interfere. If you have the sub at 70hz now, and the Yamaha is filtering at 90hz, you're losing the 70-90hz range.

DD