Exact center speaker placement, critical or not?

cleandan

I am going to be building my entertainment center. This allows me the luxury of placing things exactly where I want. My mains are KLF-20's, center is KLF-C7, rear surrounds are KLF-20's. I am wondering if the sound quality will be improved if I place my center speaker at the same listening level as my mid/high horns on the floor standers? Right now the center is about 4-6" lower than the horns of the KLF-20's and things sound pretty good. So, whaddya think? Thanks for the help

I have experimented with center placement and found that, for my ear, if you can be within 12 inches, either way, as the same plane as the main front speakers then you will have a pretty seamless integration. Somewhere around there I always noticed that the sound became more 'localized' for the three front speakers. This was most obvious with the speaker that produces the most mid range (where your center is very active during dialog).

Trying to remain on the same plane will definitely be better