SW-10 popping at high levels

michaelstano

Yesterday, my new Rat Shak SPL meter came, and I set about adjusting my speakers. Except for the sub, the meter readings weren't too far off what my ear told me was right. The sub was very low--at first, not even a reading on the meter. To get the sub level up where the Outlaw 1050 manual and the SVS web page suggest, I had to turn the level up one click above 1/2, and I had to max the setting on the receiver (+10db). At about this point, I starting hearing popping noises from the sub. I had heard this same noise during DVD playback (and in fact wrote to the forum about the noise), but concluded (incorrectely, I guess) that the noise was distortion from the DVD, some kind of electrical gremlin, etc. Are the pops caused by asking the SW-10 to do more that it is capable of doing? Is there something wrong with the sub that causes the pops at levels it should be able to handle? Is this a reason I can give my wife for why I MUST HAVE at least one SVS? TIA for any info.

• Klipsch Employees

I have seen this in the SW subs before. The SW sub was built in the day of Pro logic. Therefore, the input section of the amp is built for standard line level. In todays world of DD 5.1 and DTS the LFE track can produce up to +10db more level than standard. This over drives the input of the sub and can cause it to pop in the output.

I suggest you turn the receiver sub level down to about ¼ of its total. Then turn the level on the sub up as high as you need to get the output you want. Also, remember that your shack meter cannot respond to the frequency of the sub the way it does to the other speakers. It will not read the same. Use that good ear you have. If it sounds right it is right.

For music it is a great sub, but you may never be happy with the SW sub in todays HT.

• Like 1

Trey,

Would this hold true for RP3's as well? It is one (of the many) problems I've had since I got them. On loud LFE passages like bombing runs in Pearl Harbor I hear a loud pop which I associated with the driver bottoming out. I have played with the input levels but I can't get a happy medium from music to movies.

David