Debating whether to upgrade Synergy to Reference - Opinions requested

mattbugz

I recently had the "fun" task of upgrading my HT. I listened to numerous speakers and also checked out quite a few receivers. I almost fell victim to Bose, but luckily I was enlightened, so to speak. 2.gif Here is what I ended up with:

RB3

SC1

SS.5

Energy S10.2

Onkyo SR800

I originally purchased the SB1 for the main speakers, but they just didn't seem quite right. Anyway, I was going to replace them with the SB2 or SB3, but my ears told me there was such a dramatic difference between the Reference and Synergy series. Since I often listen to CDs and analog TV in stereo, I opted for the RB3. I didn't think it would do too much harm by mixing the series, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Here is my new dilemma that I was hoping I could gather some opinions on. Since my system is just a little over a week old, I was contemplating whether or not to get a little consistency and upgrade the SC1 and SS.5 to Reference series equivalents? I think my HT sounds good now, but it can probably sound even better. I suppose the question becomes, is it worth it to have a "sonically balanced" system or is that more of a marketing gimmick?? Is the upgrade worth the price difference of $300-400 to upgrade?? I realize this is a very subjective question. So to give you a better perpective of where I stand, I'm not sure if subtle differences are worth the extra $300-400.

By the way, cost was a factor in my considerations, hence the Energy sub and mid-level receiver. However, I didn't want to compromise too much quality on the speakers. Then again, I didn't want to get speakers that didn't make sense with the quality of the receiver.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!!

----------------

On 2/19/2003 5:53:42 PM mattbugz wrote:

Here is my new dilemma that I was hoping I could gather some opinions on. Since my system is just a little over a week old, I was contemplating whether or not to get a little consistency and upgrade the SC1 and SS.5 to Reference series equivalents? I think my HT sounds good now, but it can probably sound even better. I suppose the question becomes, is it worth it to have a "sonically balanced" system or is that more of a marketing gimmick?? Is the upgrade worth the price difference of $300-400 to upgrade?? I realize this is a very subjective question. So to give you a better perpective of where I stand, I'm not sure if subtle differences are worth the extra $300-400.

----------------

I'd say, if you can foot the extra $300 to $400 dollars, go for it. I honostly think that it is worth it, but that is me. If it is bothering you that much, do it and be done. I can almost gurantee that you'll be constantly thinking "should I have gotten the better speaker for the center and surrounds?" until you actually end up doing it. As for the sub and reciever, what you got is perfectly fine.

I had the same quandary in debating if I should stick with the RF-3s or go to the RF-7s, but at a much larger jump in cost than $300-400 dollars. I ended up biting the bullet and did it and I could not be happier.

That is my story and I am sticking with it 1.gif.

Also to add, don't worry if you got "to much speaker" for the reciever. Speakers are, in my opinion, the most important part of the setup. Most likely, the speakers you get will be the ones you'll have for many many years to come, perhaps for the rest of your life. The reciever will most likely be upgraded as better technology and surround formats come out. I guess that is also another reason that if you are bothered so much about moving to all Reference 3, to go and bite the bullet and be done with it.

----------------

On 2/19/2003 6:57:57 PM dougdrake wrote:

I would, at least, change the center to an RC-3, if you can't do them all as Reference.

DD

----------------

I second that motion. All those in favor say "I".

You definitely want the front 3 speakers to be timbre matched. The surrounds are much less important in those regards. Go with the RC3II, you won't be dissapointed 6.gif !