amc power amp

aforst

Last year I owned an AMC CVT1030s vacuum tube preamp. Sound quality was excellent, especially after tube rolling (I replaced the original Chinese and Russian tubes with 2 pairs of JAN Philips). I had issues with its build quality...flimsey plastic knobs, ganged balance/gain control I absolutely hated, and no mute feature for tube warmup (I had to switch from speaker to headphone during warmup, or a dreadful POP would blare through my Cornwalls). Aside from it's quality control (or lack of), it was a very good sounding preamp, and with the NOS Philips added, the sound was even better (Amperex, Mullard & Telefunken tubes would really make this preamp sing, if I could afford 'em).

Due to my financial situation, I had to sell the AMC. Other than that, I would have kept the CVT1030s. Sure, it's fit 'n' finish isn't up to par with McIntosh, Cary Audio, conrad-johnson, Audio Research, Manley Labs, etc...but it sounded great and never gave me any problems whatsoever! You can't beat AMC's prices; it's a great entry-level component into the world of valves.

I wish you the best...good luck.2.gif

post-11084-13819246557496_thumb.jpg

My first tube rolling experience!

In the background are NOS JAN Philips 12AU7 for the output stage.

In the foreground are NOS JAN Philips 12AX7WA for the phono stage.

The Philips increased overall dynamics and sonic details. Microphonics were extremely low. These are very musical valves, and for $10 each, a bargain to boot. If you can afford better tubes, do it!2.gif

post-11084-13819246558236_thumb.jpg

This is all I own now...The AMC CD8b was a freebie from my brother (it was time to retire my old Carver SD/A-450 1-bit CD player). The CD8b sounds fantastic, even without a tube output stage.

Unfortunantly, I know nothing of AMC's valve amps, but I'm sure they operate just as well as their other products. For the money, you can't go wrong!

Best of luck,

Jim

post-11084-13819246558826_thumb.jpg