ss1 ceiling bracket or stands

Nightshade27

I have had my SS-1s on the walls and on the ceiling. I have to say that they sounded better on the walls, to the side of the listening position. Thus, I'd hazard a guess that putting them on stands, above and slightly to the rear of the listening position, would sound the best, as long as you can get them far enough away from you that their dispersion pattern hits the listening area. They have a 60 degree vertical dispersion, so be sure it doesn't just go over your head.

I currently have mine on the ceiling, due to room restrictions, and they are nice and stable and all that. So if you have to put them on the ceiling, don't be concerned about it.

Doug,

Where are the SS-1's mounted relative to your listening position? I have a problem mounting on one wall which has windows, and am going to have to mount to the ceiling.

Thanks

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

Quintet Rears

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Following the advice of others, I put the SS-1s on the ceiling directly over my couch, lined up with the front speakers. Now, keep in mind that in my case my couch is against the back wall. If I could have, I would have put the speakers a bit behind the couch, but still aligned with the front speakers. Also, orient them so that the "long" side of the speaker is parallel to the side wall.

Make sure they are securely mounted!! Use good strong mounting screws directly into a ceiling joist. Also, since they have a keyhole mounting bracket, I put a screw with a big rubber stop on it into the ceiling, up against the edge of the speaker, to keep it from vibrating off the mounting screws and causing me a big headache!

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I can mount them behind the couch, there is no wall there. I also have to find a place for a rear center speaker and front fx speakers since I just got a new reciever with that capability.

How do you think an SC-1 would work for the rear center hung from the ceiling?

Jim