High Cut Settings Question

Nighthawk

Hi there...

I have been fooling with my sub and I was wondering if, generally, it is better to set the high cut closer to the max (about 120hz on my sub) if none of the main speakers can produce bass?

Suggestions appreciated!

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

If you set the subwoofer crossover "too" high, you'll find (a) the subwoofer will call attention to itself because you'll hear things like voices coming out of it, and (B) you will notice a "thickening" or artificial emphasis on the sound where the sub and the mains overlap. This will be most noticable on male voices, typically. People sound like they're talking in a barrel.

Move the crossover up all the way, turn on the teevee, tune in to a news broadcast, then back off the high cut until the guy talking sounds fairly normal, and you should be close to where the mains and sub fit together.

What kind of main speakers do you have?

Why would the xcrossover setting for the sub matter as long as it is above the xcrossover setting from the receiver? The sub will get only what it receives putts out. Just make sure the sub is set at or above the xcrossover frequency from the receiver.

robotec,

The receiver's xcrossover circuit, and the sub's xcrossover circuit, don't attenuate the higher frequencies with a "brick wall", or very sharp filter. You might find the xcrossover on the receiver works something like this, for example: if the crossover point is set to, say, 80 Hz, then at 160 Hz the higher frequencies are suppressed by 12dB. Assume the sub's crossover works the same way, and by setting the sub's crossover to 80 Hz it is also attenuating the higher frequencies by 12dB at 160 Hz. By putting the two crossovers together, "back to back" as it were, the combined effect will be to attenuate frequencies at 160 Hz by 24dB.

There will be an interaction between the sub's crossover and the receiver's crossover. The shallower the slope of the low pass filters, the greater the effect of the overlap; the sharper the slope, the less the effect. Only way to see how they work together is to measure the responses, if you have the equipment, or try it and see how it sounds.

Ray