Stromberg - Carlson Tube Amplifier Model #ASR-333

markw

Oh yea I bet you just scored !! I bought one a few weeks ago for $95 and I'm still astounded by the sound it produced for such a small investment. In fact I'm selling my HF-81 and putting this little baby in its place in my Living room. Mine is not the exact model as yours but I bet there similar. Mine uses 7189 outputs so it has a little more headroom then what you bought. But for $57 how could you possibly go wrong !! I'm going to completely rebuild mine to rid it of the noises and stale parts but it sounds pretty good as it is.

Here's the one I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=3003853446&rd=1

That's cool! I'll bet you'll be very happy.

Get this --- The seller lives less than 2 miles from my work.6.gif

I just picked it up. This guy's dad is an audio nut and electronics repairman. I saw NOS tubes EVERYWHERE (Of course, none that I needed)

He had a set of "High - Fidelity" S-C monoblocks he just sold.

On top of all this... he may have some old K-horns for sale11.gif (he's not sure what kind of speakers they were but "they were a funny shape and had horns".

He's calling me tomorrow...

About this amp.

It's integrated preamp/amp

I was told that 3 of the tubes tested at just under 100% and the fourth at around 80%.....what does that mean?

I just popped the hood...

I can put 6BQ5's in the output or EL84

Right now it has 8BQ5(RCA) and 6BQ5(japan) on channel A

and EL8?(unknown) and a 6BQ5(RCA) on channel B

Will any of this matter?

The pre amp section uses 6AV6 (2) and 6U8 (2) 1 per channel

It has bass/treble/gain separate for each channel, master loudness, Phono AB and BA, Tuner and Aux selections, and can bet set to run stereo or mono. Looks like it can support 4/8/16 ohm speakers.

Also there are 2 hum adjustment reostats you set w/a screwdriver (forgot the tech term)

Now I just wish I could go home and enjoy it. Oh well back to the grindstone.

I'll post after I give it a good listen. I'll also be asking if there are any quick mods I can make to help.

BTW How long should I let it warm up?

Well let me know I have nice matched quads of EL84/6BQ5s for $28 a set. NOS russian miliary from the 70's. I think you should get those mix matched tubes out of there for sure since it has no bias adjustment.

It only has 8 total tubes ?? Must be SS rectified

Oh and EL84 and 6BQ5 are the same tube one is US name (6BQ5) and one is the Euro name (EL84)

Craig

FWIW, Stromberg-Carlson also made telephone switching equipment used by the phone companies in their switching offices. It was mechanical, and responded to the pulses from your rotary phone to "step" up and down a frame, one step per pulse (9 steps for the number 9). You can only imagine the racket in that place!! Ahh, the peace of solid state and the Electronic Switching System was a welcome replacement.

DD