Legend series question

Wrigley

I'm a newbie here at the Klipsch boards, but it seems like a great site. I'm trying to decide between the 20's and 30's. I know there's a lot of experienced users here, so I thought this would be a good place to start. I know most will consider the 30's better, but I've been told by some that the 20's are a little more accurate (or punchy) as far as the bass goes. I would still probably lean towards the 30's since it will be mainly for rock/pop music and HT. The only problem is, I can get a really good deal on the 20's, and I can't find any 30's locally. The 20's would end up costing about $500 less than the 30's. So now I'm thinking, go with the 20's, and add a really good sub. What do you guys think? My original idea was the 30's and a decent sub. Now I'm thinking 20's and maybe a Sunfire True jr. sub.

To those who have listened to both, would you consider the 30's to be worth the extra $500 or so?

Anyway, sorry so long a post, and sorry for all the questions...just the curse of the newbie, I guess. smile.gif

Thanks,

Wrigley

------------------

Wrigley

Wrigley,just wanted to welcome you the Klipsch science class.I think you'll find that you can pick up some great audio tips here and get loads of opinions.Just as the following is MY opinion, you should always weigh information given you and form your own opinion via listening with your own ears and buying what sounds good to your ears.I personally do not own either the KLF20's or 30's.I DO have a pair of KG5.5's which preceeded and are similiar to the KLF10's.A few short months ago I was about to buy a pair of KLF20's when I ran across another line of Klipsch speakers and veered off in another direction.At that time I PERSONALLY preferred the KLF20's.My plans were to to use 20's front and my KG5.5's rear.I personally liked the sound of the 20's better

and figured that the reciever and amp that I had would better drive the 20's.As far as the 30's supplying sub-type bass,forget that.

As far as the small cheap sub goes I would wait until I could buy a better sub for MY money.At the time I was about to buy the 20's

HIFIBUYS had a truck load of them priced at $996 a pair.Check your local Tweeter Co. dealer.With the $500 difference I would buy a

15" Klipsch sub.Then get a KLFC7 center to go with above.This is probably a good time to

get Legends with the new line of Klipsch speakers about to hit the street.Prices are already dropping.You may find a deal on another pair of 20's or even 10's in the near

future to use for surround backs and heck maybe a pair of RS3's for surrounds.However you decide to go I would audition anything you were interested in prior to buying and build on those choices rather than buying what someone else tells you and being unhappy

with what you just paid your hard earned dollars for.Anyway,good luck to you and as I said WELCOME-A-BOARD! smile.gif

Keith

yea i just got the klf-30 for $1300 from an authorized local dealer. so in reality u should be looking at a price dif of $300.

so is that $300 worth the extra slam?- pretty subjective i'd say. & yea like ttk says, u should have a nice receiver/amp w/ some more amperage to properly drive the 30's (let alone the 20s).

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Wrigley, I own the KLF-30's, C7, KSp-S6's and KSW-15 front sub and KSW-100 rear sub. I listened at length to both the 20's vs 30's and personally found the 30's to have a slightly more dynamic sound and definitely the speaker to have if you like it loud!

IMHO I would not have paid $500 more for the 30's. I was lucky and I ordered the 20's in Mahogany and my dealer got in 30's in Mahogany and offered them to me for $100 more since I bought the entire system from him. If I were you I would buy the 20's and spend the extra $500 on a killer sub or two subs for that matter assuming you were already going to buy one. Good luck and let us all know what you decide.