Room Acoustics

pHEnomIC69

Hello, I have the turtle beach santa cruz, and a Klipsch promedia 4.1 system. I had another one and it was bad, it really ticked me off, but Klipsch showed their awesom support and replaced the whole thing for me. The new system is a lot better. I recently went to a friends house for a lan party, i Took my sup and my front two speakers. I set my speakers up in his basement. It is a big open area and I set up my computer on a card table. I noticed that my speakers sounded a lot better at his house and I was wondering it had anything to do with the room. Particularly the bass sounded better. My friend also has a klipsch 2.1 we shook the whole house with our rigs. Ok let me explain my room, I have a very heavy, dense wooden desk that i think would absorb a lot of the sound. My sub is where my feet stay, and my satellites sit on top of the desk. I have dense wooden furniture covering my left and rear wall completely. In front of my I have a window, and to my right side i have a double door thats glass and wood to the rest of my house. MY rear speakers are on stands behind me a little about my head. Do acoustics have anything to do with this, how can I improve the acoustics or placement? I think it has something to do with being small about 8x11 maybe smaller, and all the wooden furniture. Please reply to this maybe in a few days if my sister will let me use her camera I will take pictures of the room. Sorry about grammer and if something doesn't make sense i typed this fast and didn't reread it. Thanks for the help i really apppreciate it!!! And also anyone hear anything good about the new gmx yet?

Room acoustics has a lot to do with the way your speaker sounds. Although I won't get into tech. (Because i know somebody else will who knows more). The Klipsch Promedia 4.1/5.1's where made for bigger rooms. I noticed this when I took it to my electronics lab which is like 5 times the size of my room, the Klipsch seemed to have much mroe breathing room, nto to mention things sound more natural and not harsh at all, no reflections, the sub was tighter and hit just as hard. It filled that whole dang room, and that room is damn big. I think for one, Side firing are made to give a wider area of bass, while the horn's allow a focused soundstage, but with breathing room to spare. I dun know, all I know was that it sounds a lot better.

Anyone have a take on this?

I think you are right about that, i am putting my side firing at a disadvantage, they are firing at solid wood and not getting all up to my ears. Maybe i can get a new desk, it is a little old with a whole bunch of circles on it, i didn't think to use coasters back then:) MOre input is welcome too.

The only problem with that, esp. in a small room, (and being 4.1, not 5.1)is that the sheer amount of added bass can overwelm the speakers for music and movies (Vocals), so he'd have to turn bass down to gain back netuality. If it was a bigger room, I don't think it be nearly as big of a problem, if any.

However try it anyhow, and see what the results are. Have a problem or concern, just tell and we'll try to help as much as possible.

~~~~~~~

Edit: As for the GMX, I personally have not heard them. From what people say, the general sound quality is pretty good, they can't be pushed as far as the standard Promedia line, and the sub isn't as strong.

But for what the system does, it does a pretty good job.