Question about SS-1 for surrounds

jhingalala

Hi,

I am a newbie to the HT world so any advice/comments/suggestions are welcome.

I recently bought KLF10 for fronts and KLFC7 for center. I was happy with the results so tried to search matching surrounds. Didn't find any in the Legend series for timbre matching. The closest I found were SS-5, SS-1, RS3 II, and RS7.

SS-1 is in my price range (RS3II is just a little over - maybe I can squeeze them in) and I also liked the sound of both in the local Sound Advice. Any ideas about which one I should go for and which will match my fronts and center ?

My receiver is Yamaha RX-V1300, and my room is 18' (from fronts to seating position) by 24' (along the fronts). It is open on one side to kitchen and hallway - that kinda makes the 24' length extend to about 60'. The surrounds would go on the back wall - about 6" behind seating position. I am/will be using setup 50% movies, 50% music (5 channel audio).

Any suggestions for rear center are also welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PK.

Can you access a Tweeter/Sound Advice and take advantage of any clearance prices on the RS-3? I believe you will like that better than the SS-1s to go with your Legend mains.

I am using SS-1s with my Chorus mains, and they are a little overwhelmed. I didn't buy the SS-1s to go with them -- they were left over from when I had KG-4 mains and I haven't replaced them yet. (Maybe I'll take my own advice and get some RS-3s on clearance...).

Doug

To clarify:

I think the closest match is the S-5 no longer in production. However they can be found used on Ebay occasionally. This is not to be confused with the ss .5.

The closest match currently in production and more readily available would be the ss 1.

Thanks for all the input.

Dougdrake: Do the RS3II sound better than SS-1 ? The salesguy at Sound Advice said that RS3 just had bigger drivers. By the specs, RS3 goes down 1 Hz below SS1 and is 110W vs 100W.

kmijeski: I don't really have the space for another set of floor standing speakers behind (or around) the listening area. I still have to accomodate the subwoofer - whenever I get one. I haven't heard of the S-5; will try to search on ebay for it...

Thanks again.

"The salesguy at Sound Advice said that RS3 just had bigger drivers." And that makes a big difference in the sound, plus the fact that they are different drivers, larger cabinet size, etc..., so they have a different sound, just as the Synergy floor standers sound different than the Reference floor standers.

Neither is actually a real close match to the Legends or my Chorus. They are just the only choices you have in the new arena in a surround-style speaker.

I think some have used the older KSF-S5 with the Legends. They are only available used.

DougDrake mentioned that the KSF S-5s - the speaker I am refering to and is only available used. I think they are rated at 90 dB where the SS-1s have a reported sensetivity of 94 dB.

Reportedly the RC3II sound "better". However, matching these with speakers other than reference may be a poor choice. choice in your system may not be a good choice.

The issue: you want the sound from front to back to be as "seamless" as the sound from left to right. The Rc3II have a brighter sound than the ss-1s therefore when listening to a plane fly overhead during a movie you will notice the difference in sound tonality versus the movement of sound.

Someone on this forum may be able to give a web address of a put together speaker matching chart.

Doug,

Am in the beginning stages of putting HT together. Was thnking about using what you apparently already tried, Kg4's and SS-1s on the surrounds. Which surrounds were you using? My thinking is that the Kg4's will be better than the SB-1s that are used in the Synergy 6 system. What impressions overall?

The space I am going to be in is 17' front to back and 24' across with an 8' ceiling, with the mains centered on the left two thirds of the room.

My ex has my Heresy's, so I am familiar with the sound. Kg4's are more affordable, and have sounded good when I have heard them.

Was hoping to get by with the KSW-10. Thoughts?

Always happy to extoll the virtues of the KG-4s. I love 'em. And you will, too, I think. While not as great as they Heresy's, they do a great job for their purpose.

They will kick the SB-2's hiney all the way to kingdom come. Not even in the same league. And, with a room the size of yours, you'll need all the main speaker you can get, IMHO.

I used SS-1 surrounds with my KG4s. Worked fine for me.

The KG-4s have very good bass on their own. I'd suggest going with a 12" sub rather than a 10" sub in the room size you have.

Enjoy!!

Doug

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 3/12/2003 12:22:41 PM dougdrake wrote:

"The salesguy at Sound Advice said that RS3 just had bigger drivers." And that makes a big difference in the sound, plus the fact that they are different drivers, larger cabinet size, etc..., so they have a different sound, just as the Synergy floor standers sound different than the Reference floor standers.

Neither is actually a real close match to the Legends or my Chorus. They are just the only choices you have in the new arena in a surround-style speaker.

I think some have used the older KSF-S5 with the Legends. They are only available used.
----------------

dougdrake,

I auditioned the RB-2 for surrounds - didn't like the directional (instead of ambient) sound for movies.

After that came the SS-1 because they were affordable and I didn't think it would matter much. But like you pointed out, they were overwhelmed by the KLF 10s.

So finally went with the RS3IIs and they match the sound perfectly (to my amateur ears atleast). They also sound good for 6-channel audio. Maybe not as well as adding two more KLF 10s, however, as I pointed out before, I didn't have space for them and I also wanted something for movies+music.

My point is, thanks for suggesting the RS3IIs. 1.gif